Fallout NV, GECK, not working in win7 x64

NCS

Well to whom may be able to help.

I've recently somehow gotten a very serious issue with being able to run the GECK tool (latest ver.) in windows 7 x64 HP, my issue is the even if I select a link to the geck program and "run as admin" I keep getting this error message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Now I'm no tech whiz but I do know for a fact that I'm the admin on my machine, and the only user as well, but for some reason even running the GECK with my elevated privileges does not allow the GECK to launch. Also during this time I was able to get it to run for one time, but when I tried to load the Master data file, the GECK did not load anything at all. I've tried everything I can think of short of re-install to a new director for steam, or do another complete system re-install of the OS.

Any help will be greatly appreciated with this issue.

Note: Just so everyone is clear GECK is not the only thing being affected, any sort of program in the Program Files(x86) folder has the same issue when accessed directly from that area of the system, and this issue didn't start appearing until sometime after a windows update back in June. I've since gone back an un-installed all updates from June, but I'm still getting the exact same error.

-NCS

Yeah, that whole 'Program Files(x86)' tree gets UAC 'protection'.

The FAQ in the Mod Talk forum describes how to move it.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/249603-faqs/

Yeah I just read that thread, unfortunately it did not have the info I was looking for. Also just have an update as well, aparently when I creat new folders on my 2nd hard drive that does not have any MS directories on it and try to launch any application from said directories, I get the exact same error with that? What ever this "bug" is that's causing me these headaches is really starting to make me regret going with 7. But if I go back to winxp 32 bit, i'll loose that nice sized 1GB Vid card of my mine. :dry:

Have you tried just running the GECK "As Administrator"? I'm running w7/64 and just set the icon for GECK to always run as admin. No problems.

Edit - Let me specify. W7 assumes you are dumb and even as the administrator it automatically locks you out of administrative decisions unless you tell it not to by right clicking and saying "Run as Admin".

IOW You being the only admin/account on the computer doesn't affect the need to choose "Run as Admin". That's just the way it is. Unless you turn UAC off, which most people would recommend you don't do.

Have you tried just running the GECK "As Administrator"? I'm running w7/64 and just set the icon for GECK to always run as admin. No problems.

Edit - Let me specify. W7 assumes you are dumb and even as the administrator it automatically locks you out of administrative decisions unless you tell it not to by right clicking and saying "Run as Admin".

IOW You being the only admin/account on the computer doesn't affect the need to choose "Run as Admin". That's just the way it is. Unless you turn UAC off, which most people would recommend you don't do.

This I already know, as I explained in the beginning, I tried running the GECK as admin from the context menu, but was repeatedly getting that error message, then at 1 point I was able to run the app as admin, but then the geck would not load the files from the data folder when I tried to start making a new plugin?

All together I'm pretty sure that this issue is either caused by a particular update from MS or it's that permission "bug"/virus I read about, although if it is this virus causing me these problems, I wonder how I caught it in the first place? :blink: