Troupes

AtlasS

More an Idea than a request. odds are this will NEVER get made.

Ok, so i was sitting in a bar in skingrad the other day and i thought to myself "You know what this needs? music." not the ingame ambient music, a band(s) of several Troubadours moving from tavern to tavern, inn to inn etc. playing music.

there would be a generic group. drummer, fiddler, flutist, guitarist and a singer.

there could also be court minstrils hanging around in castles during the time the count(ess) holds court and dinners...

as I said its a massive idea, probably improbable

Edited by AtlasS

well, it may never get made, but there are resources for musical instruments on the Nexus. I'd start with adding to the AI of an existing Bard - maybe Elragail in the IC - she already visits the Tiber Septim Hotel regularly so adding a singing event should be fairly simple. Then build on that to make a group who wander - and will defend themselves against bandits etc.

well, it may never get made, but there are resources for musical instruments on the Nexus. I'd start with adding to the AI of an existing Bard - maybe Elragail in the IC - she already visits the Tiber Septim Hotel regularly so adding a singing event should be fairly simple. Then build on that to make a group who wander - and will defend themselves against bandits etc.

^ ^ ^ love answers like this. not telling no, not supporting. giving a logical step by step for DIY

I started typing, and the boss wandered by before I could edit it and add the fact that I think it's a great idea. Anything which adds realism and immersion is good, and wandering minstrels and troubadour troupes would be excellent.

For a single wandering bard within a city, set triggers and a given path for the bard to walk along during certain times of the day. When the bard walks onto a trigger, a script turns the trigger off for X amount of time, and has the bard recite a verse of poetry or "sing," i.e., say something like "The Bard sings a song about (whatever)" or "The Bard recites a long poem about (current event)." You might even have a song spreading from city to city about the Oblivion Crisis and the PC's actions-- sometimes they might be correct, other times they might be completely wrong, just for the fun of it.

say something like "The Bard sings a song about (whatever)" or "The Bard recites a long poem about (current event)." You might even have a song spreading from city to city about the Oblivion Crisis and the PC's actions-- sometimes they might be correct, other times they might be completely wrong, just for the fun of it.

This sounds like a great idea for street corner busker; Have a plate infront of him that when clicked on you can add coins to(taking coins is theft{perhaps have buskers as part of the thieves guild also}), and they recite poetry about current events and recent completed quests(e.g. Main quest& the oblivion crisis, Kvatch in ruins, mage guild quests, fighters guild quests, the grey fox, Hieronymus Lex, morrowind events etc)

BIG PROBLEM... i cant write poetry.. i suck

Write cheesy limericks

A prisoner slipped from the jail

And fought monsters o'er hill and dale

Caught a rare unicorn

And then took Battlehorn

And that's just the start of my tale...

Then you don't! :) You scoot around it with something like The minstrel sings a song about a clever Lord of Thieves who repeatedly outwits a dull-witted Captain of the Guard. It's obvious with whom the minstrel sympathizes! or The bard recites a poem dedicated to the lives lost in Kvatch. Something in her manner suggests she may have lost someone there, herself. and so on. Depending on how it was handled, you'd be dealing with limitations of line length; and without voicing (silent or otherwise), dialogue tends to zoom by really, really fast.

Edit: Okay, MarkInMKUK's idea is better!!

MarkInMKUK and NellSpeed.

Thank you both for wonderful ideas on how to handle this. I would prefer to actually have the bard saying the poem. whether serious or satirical as MarkInMKUK suggested wouldnt matter. and it would make sense to have a personal summary in the subtitles rather than full poetic lyrics as NellSpeed suggested, so if someone wants to listen to the poem they actually have to listen..

I will figure out how to do this (write poems, make the buskers, minstrels and troubadour troupes) eventually. if either of you want any part of it, even voice acting, don't be shy

On a marginally more serious note, if you want actual songs related to Oblivion quests, try posting on the rec.music.filk Usenet group (look under Google groups - sadly like much of Usenet it's full of spam over the top of the legitimate posts) - you will find SF and fantasy related songwriters by the drove there, and some may be willing to even record songs for you to use. Edited by MarkInMKUK