Going to make a motorcycle mod.

Fragilicious

I'm curious why you didn't look at rigging it from FO4 assets?

As someone else suggested, you could make it a hover vehicle, which means you don't need suspension animation, or kickstand animation...

Something like a modified in-game motorcycle with the Mr. Handy hover jets. or the jet pack jet flame animation. Add a custom animation, like inserting the fusion core in PA for fueling the vehicle, the mounting animation, and change the PA hud and you should be good. You don't even need to explain the smooth movement, no bumps with hover...

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

GS

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what kind of bike did you end up starting with? I'll be thrilled to see a scrambler in Fallout, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't partial to a Harley Bobber. Rigid frame, some low ape hanger handlebars, a Springer front-end, a 1948-50 widened Harley Panhead gas tank, shotgun exhaust, spoked wheels, and an Armadillo crusher front tire. Maybe some optional leather saddlebags and a matte black paint job, complete with scratches and dents, lol. I love bikes. Sorry...

Edit: I'm just really excited because this all seems to be taking shape. I'm thinking the hardest part is going to be scripting the bike's movements, but hell, that may not even be an issue like it was in New Vegas.

Edited by Launius

Launius, if you want to supply the model and texture, I'd be happy to add it to the mod. That being said, I know that some people are pretty passionate about bikes so I'll deffo put the scripting and animation skeletons up for grabs when I'm done. Currently I'm using a Hayes M1030, modified with a retro light and more... *ahem* character. I'll also do a clean version. I'm almost done with the model, animation, and skeleton, however I'm still having trouble with the front suspension (I just can't get the 'pistons' to stay still and stop rotating all over the place when being used). Scripting? Well I've never actually used Papyrus before but I'm pretty good at scripting and coding (I practically live in VB, VBA, and C++) so hopefully I can just learn it and do it.

I'm going to try and do the rigging in Blender, just to see if that's more intuitive. However for now I'll take a break from the animating and model side of things and check the scripting out. Heck, I may even find out that animating things like suspension will be entirely vestigial (god I hope not, for the sake of immersion).

As for the hover thing, I like the idea, but I kinda want a bike. I'll probably add that option as an automatron themed modification to the final mod.

EDIT: Oh, and an advance FYI, I have never, ever, ever done anything close to texturing so I'm probably going to holla out for help on that. I'll let you guys know when.

Edited by Fragilicious

ohhhkay. So I just read the primer for Papyrus and it seems to be an event based scripting tool that is used primarily for quests and/or pointing actors to events/objects. So, the question is, how does fallout 4 handle animation with regard to what I am trying to build? Specifically, what form of scripting and/or coding will be needed to associate a mount with being used. How is it done in Skyirm for instance? I'll post this question in a better place, but hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again all!

I've attempted to track this back through the code with xedit and CK, and I end up getting lost. There are events and scripts for loading a fusion core into a PA frame, and for entering a PA frame(it's called furniture in the code). I'll see if I can nail it down tonight, but I'm not a programmer/3d artist, so this is all pretty new for me.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

GS

There are no ground vehicles in the game, and none in earlier versions of games on this engine (apart from buggy carriages in Skyrim), so I honestly think you are going about this task backwards. Surely before you bother with graphics, animations, models etc, you'd want to do a feasibiity test for movement across the FO4 landscape in a way that feels like riding a bike?

We KNOW one can BLOB an object crudely across the ground- and obviously there is walking, running on 'flatish' land and a dodgy 'climbing' mechanism for foot movement over soft inclines and rocks. But zipping along in a bike in a way that feels reasonable and fun- excuse me if I severely doubt the ability of any baked in engine function to allow this.

I had the wonderful working carriage mod in Skyrim, but that blobbed along something rotten much of the time, despite being coded to use roads and tracks only.

I think Beth once intended to have a working motorcycle in the game, but couldn't figure out how to get their terrible engine to allow it. And THEY had the advantage of being able to code fundamental library changes to the engine.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you prove my (well founded) concerns wrong!

I don't think I will end up thinking about this as a vehicle, but instead as a mount. Between some minor clipping, and suspension animations that will either react to small debris, or at the very least simulate such reactions, I feel confident that I can get an immersive ride established. The hardest part will be dealing with the inevitable jumps that people are going to want to do. Typical sort of GTA thought pattern where someone will think "Hmm, that ramp over there will make a pretty sic stunt jump, Imma gonna try it!" but that can be dealt with afterwards.

Truth be told, I want to make a bike that is reasonably fun to use, but all in all it's intended as an immersive fast travel replacer. It's an off road bike purely by virtue of a post apocalyptic environment, but even off road bikes have limits. It probably won't be too much of a stretch to tidy up the roads in FO4 (though incredibly time consuming) but for me, I'd be steering around these. If I were to take an off road bike over terrain like that which is presented in FO4, then I deserve everything I get when the bike breaks. Saying that though, have you noticed that the wilderness in FO4 is pretty sparse in terms of junk and debris? I'm just going off on a tangent here though.

I did the model first because for me, that would be the harder part. Textures I have no idea with, so I'll probably get a friend in on that. Scripting however will likely be the easiest (if not the quickest) part for me because it's an environment in which I am comfortable.

As for the vehicle (no vehicles in beth games), well I think my first step is to look into how the game engine deals with mounts. From a functionality point of view, the motorbike mod I am making is just a FO version of the skyrim horse. So by learning how the game handles mounts, I can work on getting a 'mechanical mount' added to FO4.

Hope this helps with putting my idea forward. Thanks for the wishes!