Going to make a motorcycle mod.

Fragilicious

If it would make it easier in terms of handling the terrain/animations, etc...

Have you considered making it a hover-bike? Give it thrusters instead of tires, like Mr. Handy or the Eyebots, and just put some tire-sized buffers around the thrusters (horizontally, like in Back to the Future when the tires turned sideways). With glowmaps instead of tires.

I love the idea of a regular post-apocalyptic hog, too.

I don't know if my suggestion would be any easier or better, but if it helps at all I'm glad I said it. :)

Who knows? Maybe once you get it working you might decide to make multiple models.

The Commonwealth needs you. :p

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KIS, Keep It Simple for now, look around for some free 3d models of motorbikes. Initially invest your time on the scripting and animation part. It's better to have a not so good looking simple model at first that works well then aiming for a flashy "mad max" bike from te start.

I think for this to work well the roads would have to be cleaned up also. There's alot of scrap and debris that would block a smooth ride. I imagine some sort of company that cleans up the main roads of vehicles, trees and such. It would make sense because cleared roads would benefit the caravans and travel between settlements so people can move faster and safer.

And, though very probably you cannot compare the two, the NV motorcycle mod had alot of problems with the uneven uncleared roads, though admittedly i never used the latest version of that mod so i do not know if it was ever solved.

Anyway, looking forward to following your progress, good luck

That's actually a good idea. I will keep an eye out for free 3d models. Better that I improve upon existing frames than scratch build (something which I am a teeny bit out of practice with). It will probably help with the whole 'cobbled together junker' aspect.

Another question, if I texture the individual parts of the bike in 3ds Max and export, will that translate the texture into the typical sort of wrap around texture file (i'm assuming) is found in FO4?

Cheers.

ok, so I've got a model to work with (not my own, one that I found). Does anyone know for any good tutorials on scripting animations? For instance; steer left = turn left, steer right = turn right. That sort of thing.

Ok, so with regards to the animation skeleton and object relationships (i.e. piston animation for forward suspension) do I have to create all of that in 3ds Max (with the model) and export to nifskope, or is there another tool I can use for animating the model? I am having some real trouble figuring out the animating in 3ds max.

I can figure out how to do this, however on my current timetable it may take a few weeks of tutorials and learning to get it right. Just looking for a potentially easier way.

Thanks all!

I don't have any insight to offer, as I'm one of those Blender people, lol. Nonetheless, I thought I'd throw some encouragement your way, as I'd really like to see where you can take this mod. So keep up the great work and remember, the end result is what you've learned, not something tangible.

Edited by Launius

Ok, so with regards to the animation skeleton and object relationships (i.e. piston animation for forward suspension) do I have to create all of that in 3ds Max (with the model) and export to nifskope, or is there another tool I can use for animating the model? I am having some real trouble figuring out the animating in 3ds max.

I can figure out how to do this, however on my current timetable it may take a few weeks of tutorials and learning to get it right. Just looking for a potentially easier way.

Thanks all!

Hi! Nice and ambitious project you ve got:)

I can do the Hierarchy thing in Max for you, but as far as I see, it won't help you. If I am not mistaken you have to script them and load the scripts with CK. Again, I am no expert in CK, so I may be wrong..

Thanks for the encouragement Launius, and the offer Addict.

Unfortunately I've got the hierarchy all sorted out and set up. My problem is two fold (but I can forsee a third, which I will get to).

1. Trying to rig up a 'piston' like animation for the front suspension. When I assign the dummies, and add the lookat constraints, the axis' go awol. I've tried various degrees of flipping, axis selection, and whatnot, however I fear it may be down the the fact that the steering armature and front wheel frame is at an angle. Which is causing no end of trouble.

2. The aforementioned structure being at an angle is proving problematic with linear rotation only being limited to 3 axis of rotation (X, Y, & Z). All of which cause clipping as neither is the axis in which the structure should rotate. I can't seem to get the steering and front wheel structure to rotate as it should.

3. I can see a problem occuring with limiting the animations. I frankly have no idea how to limit the range of motion with regards to the various animations. I've seen a few beautiful motorcycle rigging setups on youtube that are really impressive, but none of them offer clues or tutorials on how they were achieved.

I fear that what I want may take months, if not years of practice with this field.

Ah well, something something 1000 blades.

Fudge that, fudge all of that! I worked it out, and it turns out I was being a total idiot with regards to relating the assets together (why oh why did I think I needed the lookat constraint?!) gods I feel like such a rookie sometimes.... wait, I am.

Either way, got the front suspension worked out after trying to go to bed. Now I really will go to bed. Will figure out the rest of the rig over the next few days, and hopefully upload a gif of my progress.

Here is hoping!

Edited by Fragilicious

Here to offer ideas once this is a thing. All terrain tires for better access to different areas, accessories like saddle bags and maybe a gun holster, and additional paint jobs, definitely a military paint job at least with a white star on the gas tank or something like that.. oh and black and chrome with flames, because everybody knows flames on the gas tank will make the bike go faster.