Modding Dialogue Woes

Mehra

I am pulling my hair over this. I've been trying to find as much reading online to cover my bases, but even though I am following everything in this tutorial (http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Rent_A_Room_Tutorial#The_Dialogues) when I go to talk to the NPC to rent a bed, she doesn't have the option to rent the bed. I made the script, followed the dialogue instructions, but to no avail. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am definitely a newbie at modding, this is the first time I've tried to do dialogue and quests. Any help or links would be appreciated. I just want to be able to rent a bed in my inn!

Thanks.

Oh you mean the long script under the Scripts settings? Sure.

Scriptname Publican_001Breanne

;CellName: 001HoneyandtheBeeUpstairs

;Publican: Breanne

;Room: First room upstairs on the left

;Door Ref: HoneyandtheBeeRentDoor

short rent

short rentday

short rentmonth

short cleanup

short setup

begin gamemode

if ( rent == 1 )

if ( setup == 0 )

set rentday to GameDay

set rentmonth to GameMonth

set setup to 1

HoneyandtheBeeRentDoor.unlock

HoneyandtheBeeRentBed.SetOwnership

else

if ( GameDay != rentday )

set cleanup to 1

elseif ( GameMonth != rentmonth )

set cleanup to 1

endif

endif

if ( Player.GetinCell 001HoneyandtheBee == 0 )

if ( Player.GetinCell 001HoneyandtheBeeUpstairs == 0 )

if ( Cleanup == 1 )

set Cleanup to 2

endif

endif

endif

if ( Cleanup == 2 )

set rent to 0

set setup to 0

set rentday to 0

set rentmonth to 0

set cleanup to 0

HoneyandtheBeeRentDoor.SetOpenState 0

HoneyandtheBeeRentDoor.lock 30

HoneyandtheBeeRentBed.SetOwnership 001Breanne

endif

endif

I have NO idea how scripts work. I am terrible at this. For some reason I can't get "breanne" my innkeeper to have the Bed topic ingame. >.< If I posted the wrong thing let me know, I have CS open.

As far as I know-- and god knows I'm not a master scripter!-- dialogues must be attached to a quest; and at some point, you'll probably need to use addtopic to... well, add your topic. So we'll try that first!

Open the console, and type player.addtopic yourtopicname . If it then appears in the NPC's dialogue tree, then all you need to do is put the addtopic command in your script!

This is going to sound silly, but when you say console do you mean ingame? If so, I tried that and it's telling me InvalidTopic. >.<

I had to have messed up somewhere.

Edited by Mehra

Oops! Yes, sorry-- the ingame console-- and I should have specified that by "yourtopicname" I meant, you should use the name of whatever you called your topic.

This is also called the EditorID:

http://finalgirl.us/Oblivion/tes_dlgtree.gif

So if your topic is called rentabedfrombreanne, you would type player.addtopic rentabedfrombreanne .

Hmm... I didn't create my own topic, I just added it under the already made topic of Bed/BedRental. Although, I did go back and check ingame, I typed "BedRental" instead of "Bed" where "Bed" is the actual ID name in CS. I thought I had it, but it still doesn't show up. I think this is an issue most likely with just the dialogue screen in CS, because in the past, I have tried several times to make new dialogue for random NPCS for flavor, but it never worked.

Hehe I won't even mind the "he" since this is the internet. XD But yes, I was JUST about to post a screen of it. Here is one for the generic Bed topic.