Modding Dialogue Woes

Mehra

That one should not have a choice topic added to it. The tutorial also tells you to make another response with the condition that the script variable is 0. That response is necessary, and that is the one you're supposed to add the yes/no topics to.

And sorry about calling you a he. :teehee:

@Nellspeed

Wow, I never really looked at that page before. I thought editing the vanilla topics would always create "unclean dialogue" but apparently not.

Edited by fg109

I'll go check that out right now and post back in a few minutes.

And don't worry about the he, lol. It is the internet, you never know a person's gender. I just found it a tad amusing. :P

Edited by Mehra

e_e I'm a bit overwhelmed. These options make my head spin when I try to think about how to fix my silly errors. This level of modding feels over my head, but I shall not give up! I want my inn, darn it! :P

@fg109 - Every time I open the CS wiki, I'm horrified by the number of things I'm doing dramatically wrong. Fortunately, I embrace the "failure is always an option" lifestyle.

@Mehra - The more you do it, the easier it gets, believe it or not-- it's just getting past that initial WTF? phase, where nothing makes sense.

One thing immediately comes to mind-- try removing the condition "GetInCell." IF I've got it right, this is checking to see if Breanne is in the inn-- and 0 means she isn't. I think that might be the problem.

EDIT : And, of course, what fg109 said, too. Oops.

@fg109 - Every time I open the CS wiki, I'm horrified by the number of things I'm doing dramatically wrong. Fortunately, I embrace the "failure is always an option" lifestyle.

@Mehra - The more you do it, the easier it gets, believe it or not-- it's just getting past that initial WTF? phase, where nothing makes sense.

One thing immediately comes to mind-- try removing the condition "GetInCell." IF I've got it right, this is checking to see if Breanne is in the inn-- and 0 means she isn't. I think that might be the problem.

EDIT : And, of course, what fg109 said, too. Oops.

OMG. So I just went back, deleted my original dialogue additions, and went through the Quest tab like you guys mentioned. I went and followed the original tutorial that I had posted and IT WORKS. AHH!!! I feel so accomplished! Now I just need to add in my own recordings and that should be cake. Next on my modding list is learning how to make real quests for the player. I am so stoked, this is fun!

Thank you guys for the help on this. I definitely am in the WTF? phase. But it is making more and more sense as I tweak with the options.

Oh, it doesn't help I wanted to make a sign for the Inn. But I don't know how to use retexturing tools. >.< Oh well, time to Google it!

Congratulations! I swear to god, it gets easier the more you do it. :)

One thing I wish I'd known when I started, though: it can be useful to use a unique prefix for everything you add. I use "qns" (q == quest, ns == Nell Speed). So an NPC's EditorID might be"qnsBob", the quest might be "qnsBobQuest", and his topics might be "qnsBobTalk00", "qnsBobTalk00a" and so on. Planning out the structure of your quest before you open the CS is a good idea, too-- it can help you see exactly what you need to do. :)

Also, TES Alliance has a whole section devoted to modding tutorials, designed for beginners. You might want to take a peek. :)

Congratulations! I swear to god, it gets easier the more you do it. :)

One thing I wish I'd known when I started, though: it can be useful to use a unique prefix for everything you add. I use "qns" (q == quest, ns == Nell Speed). So an NPC's EditorID might be"qnsBob", the quest might be "qnsBobQuest", and his topics might be "qnsBobTalk00", "qnsBobTalk00a" and so on. Planning out the structure of your quest before you open the CS is a good idea, too-- it can help you see exactly what you need to do. :)

Also, TES Alliance has a whole section devoted to modding tutorials, designed for beginners. You might want to take a peek. :)

I definitely shall check that out. Right now I'm unpacking the Compressed Textures .bsa for retexturing for a sign for the inn. But I will want to make quests later on, so that will come in handy. :)