Startup problem with OBGE

firydoom3

I recently downloaded the Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE) v.3 so that i could later download OBGE liquid water, but after installing it, when i start the game it just goes to a black screen then goes back to the desktop. I uninstalled the only OBGE mod i was using, screen effects, wich i only had for bladesong.

here is my log

Hooked: kernel32.dll

Hooked: kernel32.dll

Hooked: user32.dll

Hooked: d3dx9_27.dll

Hooked: d3dx9_43.dll

Detoured GetRenderedSurfaceParameters(); succeeded

Replacing the built-in shaders.

Detoured GetShaderBinary(); succeeded

Detoured LoadTextureFile(); succeeded

Init: D3D9.DLL queried.

Init: D3D9.DLL loaded.

Init: Took over Direct3DCreate9.

OD3D9: Driver queried from 0x018776d7

OD3D9: Driver 0x01ac6258 constructed from 0x01877643 (1 drivers available)

OD3D9: Driver 0x01ac6258 destructed from 0x0187d7c5 (0 drivers left)

OD3D9: Driver queried from 0x018776b8

OD3D9: Driver 0x01ac6258 constructed from 0x01877643 (1 drivers available)

OD3D9: Device queried from 0x0076a547

OD3D9: Device 0x01ac6388 constructed from 0x0187d8bb (1 devices available)

Loading texture (data\textures\shaders/unbound.dds)

Pre Hook

RESZ not supported.

Failed to create buffer texture (INTZ).

Failed to create buffer texture (DF24).

Failed to create buffer texture (DF16).

Depth buffer texture (RAWZ) (640,480) created OK.

Depth buffer attached OK. 3

Setting IsRAWZflag.

Do you have OBSE, the latest version, installed? Did you remove OBGE.dll? It's fine to leave Screen Effects, but remove the old DLL that comes with it. When you install OBGE v3 core, there is no reason to rename OBGEv2.dll. The Screen Effect OMOD script will fail, but you can simply edit the script (edit the OMOD) and snip out the error/warning about Oblivion Graphics Extender, all four or so lines.

When you installed OBGE v3, did you also install the C++ Runtime library dependencies? That output looks fine.

--Tomlong54210

I did delete the old OBGE and installed the C++ Runtime library dependencies awhile before i had even gotten OBGE v.3. I needed them for a ps2 emulator. unless the mods get wet and Natural environments use it then screen effects is the only mod. I manually installed screen effects. and i do have the latest OBSE. Edited by firydoom3

I did delete the old OBGE and installed the C++ Runtime library dependencies awhile before i had even gotten OBGE v.3. I needed them for a ps2 emulator. unless the mods get wet and Natural environments use it then screen effects is the only mod. I manually installed screen effects. and i do have the latest OBSE.

So, this problem only occurs when you have OBGE liquid installed? Are you using OBGE v3.0.1, not the original upload? Have you tried changing your OBGE.ini settings at all. There are some setting changes recommended in the OGE thread on the BethSoft forums for dealing with various crashes. You could try updating your video card drivers, but if that does not work, post in the thread or browse it first to see if you can find a solution. A number of users experienced crashes after upgrading to OBGEv3.

Official Thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1209053-wiprel-oblivion-graphics-extender/page__st__60

--Tomlong54210

The OBGE liquid water readme states that it does not require OBGE itself to be installed. I ran it this way when it first came out with no problems (except that my CPU didn't handle it so well, beautiful mod though).

The one thing it absolutely did require is the latest version of DirectX 9. I wes using DX10 at the time and had problems much like what you describe until i "upgraded" DX. In the process i learned that you can have multiple versions of DX installed, and your machine will use the latest by default. But Liquid Water referenced files specific to DX9, so it needed to be there also.

I know that there is a updated Liquid Water now, but i have no experience with it. Check the readme to see if these tips still apply.

Yes, you need to have whatever library files (DLLs) from whatever version of DirectX the game or mods require installed. Updates to DirectX are not necessarily cumulative.

Try running the updated OBGE Liquid with OBGE v3.0.1. Although the older version may not have recquried OBGE, it may have picked up on it if it were installed. Therefore, the updated OBGE could be throwing it off. I don't see any reason not to update it anyway, especially since you bothered upgrading OBGE. :?

--Tomlong54210

REMOVE the d3dx9_27.dll and d3dx9_43.dll from your Oblivion folders. Unless you are using an ancient and unmaintained copy of Windows 98 or a PCI video card, you don't need those in your Oblivion folder. I would venture a guess that you are using some new video card using PCI-e, so yeah...remove the dlls.... Edited by MOTOSXORPIO

• 4 weeks later...

REMOVE the d3dx9_27.dll and d3dx9_43.dll from your Oblivion folders. Unless you are using an ancient and unmaintained copy of Windows 98 or a PCI video card, you don't need those in your Oblivion folder. I would venture a guess that you are using some new video card using PCI-e, so yeah...remove the dlls....

These files are not in my oblivion folder, I have searched for them but they are not there. I am not sure anyone understands what the problem is (I probably didn't explain it very well.) so i will explain again.

I put the files into their designated folders and clicked on OBSE loader. The screen turned black for a few seconds, to signal it was starting, but cut off before it even reached the the logo screens (Bethesda, 2K, etc.) Is there any reason it would just cause oblivion to not start at all.

Edited by firydoom3

• 2 years later...