CTD upon equipping an item

MShoap13

So, I've been working on a little project with NifSkope off and on for a few days now, and I finally got to where I was ready to test my work in-game. If you're interested here's the original thread containing the details: Breaking a single-piece armor down to multiple pieces.

Anyways, I first brought my items up in game yesterday, and the meshes were so warped most of the time you couldn't even tell I had an Item equipped, it just appeared that the part of my body in question was invisible. I did see torn and stretched bits and pieces of the textures when I moved my character, or the camera. So, I went back out to NifSkope and started playing with the nodes etc. on the boots and I thought I had it right (I was using the fur boots .nif from the Oblivion BSAs as a referrence) but, when I equip them in-game I CTD.

Any Ideas or helpful links? Google isn't turning up much, just an incomplete overview called a tutorial and a bunch of links that no longer exist. :sad:

Edit: If I try to import my boots.nif that I'm currently working on into blender, I get the error message: "ValueError: cannot find a chain of NiAVObject blocks between Bip01 L Toe0 and Scene Root."

Edited by MShoap13

I'm know practically nothing about meshes but I found a link to a tutorial for splitting armor in the Blender forum sticky topic.

Even given my limited experience with Blender, it seems like it'd be easy enough. I would suggest importing only the relevant body part (upper/lower/hand/foot) instead of the whole body it links you to though.

You... are... AWESOME!

I'd already started chopping things up in Blender since my first post, and I got the boots in game, but that tutorial is going to make the skirt and top a LOT easier for me.

Edit: Bleh, I loaded the game up and put the boots on, no CTD this time but major clipping between the boots and my legs. I tried going down to normal legs for HGEC (the mesh I'm working with is for HGEC) and it made the clipping worse. So, I tried scaling the boots up 5% along all axes in Blender and it won't let me export it. It just sends me in a circle about applying the scale and rotation of each individual strip. :wallbash: It might be time to call it quits on this one. :verymad:

Edited by MShoap13

Now that your boots show skin, you have to weightpaint (rig) your boots for the used body mesh. Most outfits which show skin come with their own copy of body mesh, but for the boots alone this is not possible.

A good tutorial how to apply Blender's bone weight copy is saaya's BBB Armor Weighting Tutorial. Different body part, but very applicable. :)

Now that your boots show skin, you have to weightpaint (rig) your boots for the used body mesh. Most outfits which show skin come with their own copy of body mesh, but for the boots alone this is not possible.

A good tutorial how to apply Blender's bone weight copy is saaya's BBB Armor Weighting Tutorial. Different body part, but very applicable. :)

Hmm, I'll give it a try when I get around to it.