Disappearing "Textures" and "Meshes" folders.

MShoap13

Yesterday I was messing around with my data folder and I deleted a plugin that I was replacing. I had just installed Kafei's armored circlets, and was replacing the plugin with Kafei's Circlets Reforged. The "deleting file" pop up got hung and remained on my screen for two to three minutes before I decided to close it. I opened the recycling bin to verify that the plugin had been deleted and the only thing in there was my entire textures file. It had been full of files from me installing and uninstalling and optimizing mods over the past two weeks. The entire texture file restored fine, all my high res skin textures, and armor replacers etc. were there.

Today when i booted up my PC and got into messing with a plugin in TES4Edit. I went to browse for the filepath of a particular mesh and I noticed my entire "meshes" file was gone! I popped open my recycling bin and it wasn't in there either. This wasn't a case of absent minded deleting nor is there a virus on my computer, I've ran full scans with AVG and MalwareBytes which both came up with zip.

In addition to my load order, I'm running OBSE v0020 and -Elys- Level Uncapper.

Load order:

Oblivion.esm

Harvest[Containers].esm

HrmnsOblivionScriptOptimizationv1.0.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Natural Environment Merged.esp (I merged the 4 plugins with TES4Gecko)

Natural_Weather_HDR_2.1.2_coloroverride.esp

IWR - Windows Lights Shutters - Optimised.esp

FormID Finder4.esp (not turned on)

Spell Delete And Item Remove.esp

HouseMapMarkersOnlyBought.esp

EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp

HGEC_special_armor_repl.esp

Kafei's Circlets Reforged.esp

Harvest[Containers] - Vanilla.esp

Harvest[Containers] - SI.esp

Knights.esp

EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

EVE_ShiveringIslesEasterEggs.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

SRJIrresponsibleHorses.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp (not turned on)

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp (not turned on)

sr_retroactive_health.esp

SetBody.esp

TSRCS.esp

RenGuardOverhaul.esp

Archery Rebalance.esp

Smarter Mercantile Leveling - Multi.esp

AFLevelMod.esp

Specialanims.esp

EVE_KhajiitFix.esp

CCC.esp

Recastable Summons.esp

MiniMap.esp

Mighty Enchants.esp

Regenerate_Magicka_Enchantment-3225.esp

Visually Enchanted Merged.esp (I merged the 4 plugins with TES4Gecko)

The vast majority of my load order is BOSS suggested save for "EVE_KhajiitFix" being before "CCC" due to a problem with Khajiit eyes with the suggested load order and the plugins I merged, which I placed them where they need to be.

Could it possibly be OBSE or one of my mods causing this issue? I already had an issue where OBSE affected the task manager after I hit ctrl+alt+delete midgame and forgot to close it before returning to oblivion.

And, where do I go from here? Do I reinstall all of the meshes my plugins came with or, uninstall, purge, and reinstall Oblivion and then my mods. I know my media player is glitched due to a botched attempt to get Windows Aero working on my XP x64 desktop, though, other than Windows Media Player, I haven't had any other ill effects and I've been running this installation for well over a year now, adding, using, and removing games and applications.

Edit: I figured I'd try the least intensive process first, then, make backups and go from there... so far I believe I've reinstalled every mesh associated with the mods I'm running and I'm currently making a backup of my entire Data folder with WinRar.

Edit edit: Now I'm getting CTD when I cast certain spells, Detect Life and Summon Zombie are affected, Heal Minor Wounds is not. Haven't tested any others

Recastable Summons affects summons, but not life detect.

Are there any debuggers or loggers I could use to possibly figure out the issue?

Edited by MShoap13

Computers occasionally do erratic and unpredictable things. I am not surprised to hear that your computer froze up and deleted a large folder of data without even sending it to the recycle bin. Fortunes of war. The only thing a person can really do about incidents like this is keep backups of data on media separate from the computer.

I would view this as a random problem with your computer, and not a problem with Oblivion or your mods.

Computers occasionally do erratic and unpredictable things. I am not surprised to hear that your computer froze up and deleted a large folder of data without even sending it to the recycle bin. Fortunes of war. The only thing a person can really do about incidents like this is keep backups of data on media separate from the computer.

I would view this as a random problem with your computer, and not a problem with Oblivion or your mods.

I did a full uninstall and reinstall of Oblivion, and all of my mods to get Oblivion working again. Then, my modified Oblivion.ini I backed up caused problems with my new installation. I'm thinking it was causing problems the entire time but, because I had the force SM 3.0 trick going on, they weren't evident. Currently, I've done moderate testing of my full reinstall and am backing up my Data folder into a .rar file. :thumbsup:

Edit: And just in case, I won't be running Oblivion with anything open in the background anymore, seeing that I've already had a problem with OBSE attaching itself to the wrong window.

Edited by MShoap13