Want To Upload My Mod Without Getting In Trouble

EvilMetro

I've made a mod that was supposed to be used for myself originally, but since I worked on it a lot more than planned, I decided I should release it to the public. 1 problem though, it uses some textures and meshes from Fallout: New Vegas. I've made weapons and armor that use those textures and meshes and I fear that uploading it on here might result in me getting banned. The armors were converted from F:NV and function exactly like they do in F:NV (the Combat Armor Reinforced Mk I and Remant's Power Armor). The weapons, on the other hand, were deeply modified and function totally differently. The only one that has any functions resembling a F:NV weapon is the Plasma Caster, but is modified. I made an interesting weapon that looks like the Grenade Machinegun but functions kind of like the Rock-It Launcher, except it uses any type of grenade. Anyways, I'm no professional texture or mesh artist and if I credit Obsidian, can I safely upload my mod? Also, I can remove or replace the armors as it is an exact copy from F:NV but the weapons are partially my own.

I'm by no means an expert, but from reading the thread about porting content:

I know a few people have sort permission from Bethesda to create similar utilities to facilitate porting between Fallout 3 and New Vegas and have been denied permission, so at the moment it is best to ask before you even start working on them, or upload them here.

(http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/377405-porting-content-from-other-games/)

Now that quote was specifically about utilities that makes sure that you need both games to use the mod. But if they are even against (some) of those my guess is that it isn't. If someone can prove me wrong I'm just happy, but for now I wouldn't do anything like that.

Edited by amycus

You cannot upload the mod if it contains assets ported from another game unless like in some cases the maker give permission like the stalker assets ( check the forum for full details on that. Uploading assets from other games that are not included in the original, IE new vegas assets for f03 comes under copyright infringement.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/377405-porting-content-from-other-games/

Vice Versa, allot of fo3 assets that are not actually used in the game like a lot of DLC stuff from fo3 is already in the NV bsa files with some exceptions , like Ashurs tribal power armor. So that type of upload would be OK, but in your case not.

EDIT: you can tell them where to extract the files from the NV bsa etc trey own themselves, but not supply the actual files.

So if I don't include the textures and meshes with the mod and say that to play this mod, you must own Fallout: New Vegas and must transfer the needed textures and meshes manually, will that be ok? Then it means that the only way you can use my mod is to own F:NV and transfer the data from the BSAs of F:NV to the Fallout 3 data folder.

Also, is it ok that I include F:NV Pip-Boy icons with the files? That is the only thing I'll include, as it would take a while to list all of the icons needed.