Akavir, the mysterious continent

zeonmx

I hope Bethesda eventually do TES game that sets in Akavir.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Akavir in general and its races inhabiting the continent. I believe everything about what we learn about the races of Akavir from books and lore in Oblivion is bulls***. The whole vampire serpent race, monkey people, snow demon race, etc.. are probably just fiction. We all know the Tsaesci race aka vampire serpent race is not actually vampire nor serpent, but normal human beings.

Starting with the Lore:Akavir page...

"Tsaesci is translated as "Snake Palace", and was once the strongest kingdom in Akavir. It is home to the Vampire Snake people who ate the men of Akavir long ago. They are described as beautiful, with golden scales, a human upper body and a snake like lower body."

If we compare this description with the description of a centaur, there are certain similarities - the man-shaped torso linked with a beast body. In the case of centaurs, it is likely they are inpsired by the early mongols, who were one of the first to ride horses in combat and shoot bows from them, also leading to the centaur reputation for superb archery. Now, given that thought, is it likely that the Tsaesci are, in fact, humans who wear golden scaled body armour and ride giant snakes?

Edited by MarkInMKUK

The Blades are heavily influenced by Akavir battle doctrine, they use armors and weapons made by Tsaesci. Think of "golden scaled body" and compare it to the Blades greaves. Notice the similarity? Also, from one of the mission from Bruma where you have to fetch Akaviri artifact, you meet the ghost of Akaviri soldier. The ghost look nothing like a serpent. Edited by zeonmx

Also, from one of the mission from Bruma where you have to fetch Akaviri artifact, you meet the ghost of Akaviri soldier. The ghost look nothing like a serpent.

The Khajiit and Argonian races in Oblivion look very little like they should too - unlike Morrowind where they had beast-like proportions to their legs at least. In oblivion they look like cheap "man in a suit" creatures. I'd take that as somewhat imprecise evidence - they wouldn't waste animators' time on one creature for one small quest if they couldn't even get the beast races correct...

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just the evidence has to be filtered through the time spent on some aspects of the game.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Ive been quite interested in Akavir as well, from their Asian similarities to just the different races. I personally think the Ka'potun would be my favorite race of the main four listed. I mean Rak Tosha just sounds badass i mean he turned into a dragon. Also i forget where i read it, but there are a few akaviri lore forums and such out there on the web, mostly all of them agree that there are men on akavir, but they are just eitha slaves under the TSaeci or under the protection of the Ka'potun.

Also, from one of the mission from Bruma where you have to fetch Akaviri artifact, you meet the ghost of Akaviri soldier. The ghost look nothing like a serpent.

The Khajiit and Argonian races in Oblivion look very little like they should too - unlike Morrowind where they had beast-like proportions to their legs at least. In oblivion they look like cheap "man in a suit" creatures. I'd take that as somewhat imprecise evidence - they wouldn't waste animators' time on one creature for one small quest if they couldn't even get the beast races correct...

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just the evidence has to be filtered through the time spent on some aspects of the game.

To be fair, MarkinMKUK, it's speculated that we've seen a different variety of Argonian in just about every Elder Scrolls game thus far (the ones in Arena look grossly different from those in Morrowind, for instance). Like the Khajiit, there are in fact several varieties of Argonian, each variety *probably* influenced by their proximity to the Hist and the extent to which they consume their sap. See the "Tribes" section on this page for more information: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Argonian

I admit, it's a bit of a cop-out, but at least there's some sort of explanation for why the Argonians look so much different in one game when compared to another game. The same can be said of Khajiiti appearance throughout the series.

To be fair, MarkinMKUK, it's speculated that we've seen a different variety of Argonian in just about every Elder Scrolls game thus far (the ones in Arena look grossly different from those in Morrowind, for instance). Like the Khajiit, there are in fact several varieties of Argonian, each variety *probably* influenced by their proximity to the Hist and the extent to which they consume their sap. See the "Tribes" section on this page for more information: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Argonian

I admit, it's a bit of a cop-out, but at least there's some sort of explanation for why the Argonians look so much different in one game when compared to another game. The same can be said of Khajiiti appearance throughout the series.

...and a bunch of us are working on putting more "correct" legs back onto our Khajiit and Argonian characters - and the rest of the races too. Just because Bethesda don't do it, doesn't mean the modders can't fix it later... just takes time.

Edit: There's an unwritten rule that you only spot the obvious typo AFTER you press the "Post" button. I prove it almost EVERY time I post... :(

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I agree that the Akaviri are human. The snake, monkey , dragons, tigers are probably clan names: sign of the snake, sign of the dragon etc.

Which would explain why Akaviri armour fits humans.

This may be a little more boring but it would also be more challeging to create the cultures for a mod (hint, hint)

Edited by Gaius24

There's at least one book in-game, describing an Akaviri as snake-like.

One combatant was the Potentate's son, Savirien-Chorak, a glistening ivory-yellow eel, gripping his katana and wakizashi with his thin, deceptively weak looking arms. The other was the Emperor's son, Prince Juilek, in ebony armor with a savage Orcish helm, shield and longsword at his side.

“This will be fascinating to watch,” hissed the Potentate, a wide grin across his narrow face. “I don't know if I've even seen a Cyrodiil fight an Akavir like this. Usually it's army against army. At last we can settle which philosophy is better -- to create armor to combat swords as your people do, or to create swords to combat armor as mine do.”

No one in the crowd, aside from a few scattered Akaviri counselors and the Potentate himself wanted Savirien-Chorak to win, but there was a collective intake of breath at the sight of his graceful movements. His swords seemed to be a part of him, a tail coming from his arms to match the one behind him. It was a trick of counterbalance, allowing the young serpent man to roll up into a circle and spin into the center of the ring in offensive position. The Prince had to plod forward the less impressive traditional way.

The facts that the ghosts of Akaviri soldiers you encounter in Oblivion look human and that Akaviri armor looks made to fit human proportions is probably because Bethesda were too lazy to bother reading up on their own lore and do extra work on actually modeling snake creatures.

"There's at least one book in-game, describing an Akaviri as snake-like."

"The facts that the ghosts of Akaviri soldiers you encounter in Oblivion look human and that Akaviri armor looks made to fit human proportions is probably because Bethesda were too lazy to bother reading up on their own lore and do extra work on actually modeling snake creatures."

Yes and the book The Mysterious Akaviri describes something similar. I have yet to read Morning Star but I bet it could be written by the same people of Tamriel that were under the Akaviri yoke for a while. Or at least I would like to think so. :dry:

But of course its a game. :wallbash:

So snake people for everyone!!!!!! :thumbsup: