It won't load.

Sheddler

I know NOTHING of PC gaming, I know NOTHING of my computer, other than it's a good computer, it's got a great graphics card and EVERYTHING runs smoothly. For some reason, whenever I go to start a new game, an error occurs and the game has to close. I don't know what to do, and I just shelled out my cash without thinking. I was stupid, and I should have done my research. I'd like to avoid lectures right now, and just try to get some help.

Right click fallout icon on steam library and delete local files, but no one can realy help with the limited info provided.

Right click the fo3 icon and select properties then local files and hit verify local cache to see if there was a problem with the original download and it should fix any downloads, also we would need to know load order, have you installed any mods ect? stuff like that

Right click fallout icon on steam library and delete local files, but no one can realy help with the limited info provided.

Right click the fo3 icon and select properties then local files and hit verify local cache to see if there was a problem with the original download and it should fix any downloads, also we would need to know load order, have you installed any mods ect? stuff like that

How might I be able to acquire more info to help anyone able to provide any information?

I did as you said, it continued without a hitch, said it was fine, I retried and it failed. The screen goes black when it stops, the window closes, and an error report comes up. When I have it in window mode, the screen just freezes. It runs just find until I start a new game. Maybe I should try using a save?

No matter what the salesman said not every 'good' computer can play Fallout3

Using the computer you plan to play the game on

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

You will find the various game we support

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age: Origins

Dragon Age 2 as Dragon Age II

The Witcher as The Witcher

The Witcher 2 as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

Note: TES V - Skyrim is not listed yet as no one knows what the final requirements will be yet.

Now, assuming your computer passes - give us some info, such as what have you tried to make it work?

What Operating System? Where is it installed? Default location or other location?

Have you tried to install mods before getting the game to work without them? (not a good idea)

Just what is your 'great' graphics card?

Unfortunately, I'm under custody of a different guardian now, which means that I'm at a different location at a different computer. I got this message when I tried to start up Fallout, "Failed to intialize renderer Hardware T&L required but not supported by adapter."

When I tried using FOSE start-up, I got the same message, but without the mini-menu before game start-up.

My step-dad said it meant I'm missing a driver. Computer gaming can be very stressful. It seems to defeat the point of gaming.

Edited by Sheddler

First off welcome to the forums. Second this should be in the technical discussion board that is okay, just remember that next time. Third can you please post your computer specs when you are capable of discovering them. Use the site bben46 posted, and install the cookie it wants you too (because it won't work without it). That will tell you all the technical information you need to know, what your video card is, what cpu you have, your OS, amount of RAM, Harddisk space etc etc. Post all the information here.

My only comment about that site is that while it does tell you can run the game it does not tell you how well it will run.. For instance on my old laptop it would tell me I could run crysis 2 fast. What it doesn't tell you is that is on the lowest possible graphics. So remember that even when it says you can run it, the program does not take into account at what graphic settings. Also I don't think you are suffering from a driver problem but it is possible. So if I were you I would do two things. First once you figure out what video card you have mosey on over to the manufacturers website and install the latest drivers available for that card. Do the same for the CPU and the motherboard if you can figure out what make it is. The next thing I would do is this. It's a handy little tool that lets you clean your registry and, clear out old storage files. It's free, because they only sell the newest version. Which means every-time a new version comes out the old one becomes free. Run that, it will tell you if there are errors and then correct them for you.

My last comment is a bit of harsher one, don't take this the wrong way, please, I mean this in the nicest way possible. If you can't delete a game off of steam, then you shouldn't be taking ANY advice from people at a store. They are trying to sell you something. I have had the idiots at bestbuy for example try and sell me a computer before because they said the CPU was the fastest on the market. When I asked which one it was the clerk told me it was a 32gb. A 32gb CPU? Don't think so.. So please don't listen to them, they know nothing, and will take advantage of you for knowing nothing as well..

Edited by Dan3345

"First once you figure out what video card you have mosey on over to the manufacturers website and install the latest drivers available for that card."

All good sound advice from Dan3345, but I (and many others) would recommend that you download the alternative Omega video drivers, rather than the manufacturers' ones...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I speak from experience when I say that the latest OEM drivers aren't always the best, and can often introduce incompatibilities not present in previous versions.

Edited by roquefort

When I said it's a good computer, I meant that from experience... I don't trust salesmen.

I've found that I need a new video card. I have a Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family and I'd like to get a graphics card that costs 150 or less.

Edited by Sheddler

And... Oddly enough it had this to say:

Video Card

Recommended: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

You Have: Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card

Required You Have

Video RAM 512 MB 1.0 GB

3D Yes Yes

Hardware T&L Yes Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0