Bioshock

chjoco15

I've been playing the demo with the SM2.0 fixes (forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5680 (and it's a big ole thread)) and I can say that it is very impressive. I'm going to wait until the next version of the fix comes out before buying it though (still getting some white water textures, but I can look out of windows (and see stuff! Amazing city!) with the latest shader fix, plus it runs v. smoothly @ 1280x1024 on the X800). Unreal Engine 3 is so efficient! Shame it didn't come with SM2.0 support from the start.

my friend with a 360 got it a day i came over, and it is ok... with all the hype i expected to be a bit of a better game, but we only probably finished about a quarter of the game that day. When you use the weapons (such as the pistol, machine gun, shotgun, etc.) it seems kinda dry, but when you use the plasmid things, it feels a lot more unique. Catching grenades and rockets with telekinesis and throwing them back at the enemys is great fun.... :D

• 4 weeks later...
Brilliant.

Yes.

If you have an Xbox 360 or a PC that can handle Bioshock, you should get it.

My computer actually doesn't reach the minimum requirements:

Ram: 512 MB (1 Gig minimum), Graphics Card: Radeon 9500 Pro/9700 (Card with SM 3.0 support required), CPU: 2.4 Ghz (2.4 Ghz minimum).

But I used the unofficial SM 2.0 Fix I was able to make it work.

Screenshot: The game looks a little better than this now, but you get the idea. It looks terrible, but it's playable and a lot of fun if you don't mind the crappy graphics.

I also had a problem with the water: It's white. Luckily you don't see that much water in the game, and not all water looks like this.

I recommend the Bioshock Tweak Guide as well, with any system.

• 2 weeks later...
Right. With the latest SM2 patch, and the full version (w00t), I've only encountered two places with white textures. So you get water (yay!) and particles (double yay!). The loading times are a little long, though. Otherwise absolutely brilliant.

Archived