Simple Question

PullThePin07

1. If I modify a mod only for personal use, without ever choosing to redistribute, do I need the author's permission to do so? (even though it will never be public)

2. If it is ok to do the previous, then is it ok to post images in the gallery? (again not distributing the modified mod, just using it to get a different look in pictures)

Thanks for the help.

I think it is fair to use whatever mods you want to make screen shots for upload. Images are so changeable. They would never be able to say for sure if you made it in Photoshop, GIMP, or Oblivion. It would be a good bet that you made it in Oblivion, but maybe you worked it over with a photo editor afterward, and it is faintly possible that you made the whole thing without using Oblivion.

There is also the saying that "There is no such thing as bad publicity." If you use items from a mod in your screenshots, people will see them and say, "I want that mod!" This will increase the download count for the people who made the mod that you used in your images.

If you have doubt about what you are doing, you might post the names of the mods and links to them with your screenshot, and you might contact mod authors to tell them what you are doing.

I'd say no problem showing pictures of your altered versions of other people's work in any of the screenshot threads or in your own picture gallery.:smile: But not a good idea very bad idea to post them on the mod's own image page on nexus.:no: