Terran Vampires REVIVED

Urko

At a few points in the mod, I've tried to create something that Oblivion lacked - a sense of urgency; that feeling of an imminent danger you cannot fight, that determination to escape from it, knowing that if you stop for anything then that danger will catch up to you.

I'm just writing up part of the manual to reflect some recent updates (47 pages now), and one of the major parts I have been constantly changing is the frenzy mechanism. It used be in 1.4 that your willpower controlled the amount of blood you could tolerate losing before instantly losing control of your character, who would then attack any passer-by.

I've changed that to make humanity the controlling factor (for those interested, the formula for the frenzy point is [0.0679012 * (Humanity squared) - (0.408025 * Humanity) + 0.540123] ), and instead of instantly entering frenzy, you must first pass a chance based check, which becomes harder over over time. Essentially, once you have gone more than 5 minutes below the frenzy point it is impossible to pass the next check. After that, you still lose control and attack a random person.

I'm refining this a little more, because I like the player's choices to always have at least little input on the background mechanics, and I like to let the player know that. Willpower will now have an affect how long you will last (not humanity, seen as it is such a deciding factor in where that frenzy point is) along with your remaining Blood Power.

The effect I'm hoping to get from this is that when the player goes too low on blood, everything becomes tense; you don't know when, you don't know where, but if you don't feed you will frenzy. That is one of the places I have made a sense of urgency.

Is this the kind of thing I need to be worrying about? I've always been something of a perfectionist, and it does get in the way occasionally (that formula took a while to perfect) but more often it seems to work for the better ;)

Urgh...this sounds seriously dangerous...what you should be worrying about imo is to make it annoying.

An example: You feed on a person and run to another city (not fast travel but run) and on the way you are practically bound to go into frenzy because the blood thirst, comes back way too fast. That's smth most Vampire mods do wrong IMO.

You practically can't even do a quest that takes longer than 10 min because you have to feed and the guy you are with (some quest character) turns out to be a good guy --> doesn't like it when yous start feeding on a beggar or the duchess or whatever is in reach.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frenzy will only occur at pretty low levels of blood. At the start, that means 10 BP, so you will have around 20 game hours. At my recommended timescale of 5, you will have 4 real life hours before hitting that point. At the default timescale, 30, you will have 45 minutes.

So you should have plenty of time, if you can obtain the blood. That is where humanity vs inhumanity comes in, as it will affect the amount available to take in your environment. As always, I have done what I can to turn a statistic into a trait, or at least something that actually has a noticeable impact on the course of your game. Easier said than done ;)

Most things are adjustable anyway, so there is always a way to fix whatever may be annoying you.

About that situation you mentioned - Ive already shown you that at low levels you will have at least a day (high levels are variable), but followers are tricky. People in the PlayerFaction (which includes most CM partners I think) will not be witnesses, but otherwise I have no control. That just means you may have to make preparations, like grabbing a few blood phials, instead of just breezing through the game and never being in any real danger.

Edited by WarRatsG

Frenzy will only occur at pretty low levels of blood. At the start, that means 10 BP, so you will have around 20 game hours. At my recommended timescale of 5, you will have 4 real life hours before hitting that point. At the default timescale, 30, you will have 45 minutes.

So you should have plenty of time, if you can obtain the blood. That is where humanity vs inhumanity comes in, as it will affect the amount available to take in your environment. As always, I have done what I can to turn a statistic into a trait, or at least something that actually has a noticeable impact on the course of your game. Easier said than done ;)

Most things are adjustable anyway, so there is always a way to fix whatever may be annoying you.

About that situation you mentioned - Ive already shown you that at low levels you will have at least a day (high levels are variable), but followers are tricky. People in the PlayerFaction (which includes most CM partners I think) will not be witnesses, but otherwise I have no control. That just means you may have to make preparations, like grabbing a few blood phials, instead of just breezing through the game and never being in any real danger.

Fair enough, that's good to hear.^^

I was just worried because it's not a matter of danger if one has to run from victim to victim all the time, it just takes away the time for all the other stuff you made.

Edited by JinKanzaki