Are we addicted to new?

kvnchrist

@Dranconix

I think that the distinction that needs to be made is whether we are using 'addicted' in a clinical or colloquial sense. I freely admit that I was using it in the colloquial way since having carefully read the OP's premise that is the way I interpreted his question. If we are using the term in a clinical way then I concede that being addicted to 'new' cannot meet the threshold but if we are using it in a colloquial way then then there is still room to contest your counter argument. I only created my thesis in response to what I saw as a plaintive query as to why no one was arguing the original question and thought it at least deserved one good attempt at it. I await your response as to definitions of terms.

Yeah I have to admit that, I was being a bit of a turd in sticking with the clinical side. I could have assumed that you were speaking figuratively, and my entire argument could be considered a straw-man of the original argument. For that I apologize, but there was a reason that I chose to do so.

When considering the question figuratively, the question might be asking too many questions. Are we buying new thing more than we ought to? Are we spending beyond our means? Is it wise to become so dependent upon technology as it exists today? It's really a multifaceted question that may be too complex to answer all at once, We would have to define things like "too much" which is a very subjective expression. However, in sticking with an objective indicator, like addiction, it becomes easier to solidify and define the implications of the question.

Sorry for the straw man, it was a fun bit of exercise, but not entirely without merit. The fruits of that mental exercise did have bits of information that are still applicable to the bigger question. The point that I made about how the strive for new things is what inspires people to work harder and do better, but that doesn't even go on to touch upon our dependence upon modern technology.

One big factor that affects how much we should be relying upon the technology that we have is the fact that we are due for a small solar storm like the one in 1859 but not quite as large. If something like that were to happen tomorrow, we'd be screwed. So... yes, we are over-reliant on our technology as it stands... I don't really have a set position on this yet due to the broadness of the question at hand.. Perhaps if we narrowed down the question, we could get somewhere with this. :cool:

Edited by draconix

Even if i had the money, I'm not the sort to constantly buy new things. I don't even have a cell phone (my life doesn't have a need for them so far). I bought a new laptop when the old one crapped itself. I'm usually quite happy playing older games (Skyrim being my big exception when it comes out!), I don't care if my clothes are out of date, but if something really catches my eye and I can afford it, I get it. I'm not afraid to try new things, just most of the time it isn't a big deal to me.