What was the most Majestic site that you have seen?

kvnchrist

I was in a government program, called JOB CORPS, when I was younger. They seen me t0o a place called Weber Basin Utah Which is about 20 miles North of Salt Lake City. This was about 1974-5. This was the first time I flew in a plane, and boy the scene was amazing. It looked like one of those dioramas that they use for miniature railroad affectionados. It wasn't as mesmerizing that I failed to pick out points on the ground that looked flat enough for us to crash in. lol

Utah, was a strange and wondrous place. It was the first time a boy from Kansas had personally laid eyes on the mountains. I and another kid from southern Kansas thought at one time, we could climb the mountain that set right above, where the base was. After a couple of hours, we were still incite of the base and thoroughly exhausted, we abandoned our Lewis and Clark expedition, for a cold Pepsi and a comfortable chair to literally die in.

Though there were literally hundreds of sights that crossed my eyes during that time. The most majestic was the sight of a buck deer, fully horned with antlers that crowned him like a king of the mountain. I first saw him when he was standing a few hundred feet above me on an outcropping. He stood there as grand as ever for a few seconds and then turned towards the mountain top and slowing climbed till he was out of my sight. I can still envision that awesomeness today, some 30 years latter.

There are two places that come to mind:

1. Back in my high school days I went on a field trip to the D.C. Holocaust museum, but I also got to see the WW2 and Vietnam memorials and go inside the Lincoln Memorial.

2. A trip to Hawaii sometime around the years 2005-2006.

Although I can think of many, the answer popped immediately into my head the moment I saw your post. For me it was the Giant Redwoods and the Sequoias out in California. When I hear the word "awesome" used and overused today I can never forget how I felt at the moment I first encountered those beautiful Giants standing their silent vigil. I was literally awestruck. I truly felt the presence of God or some higher power (whom or whatever one chooses to call it). I can still feel it today whenever I return to that time in my memory. I will never forget it.....

New Zealand would take the cake for me. There were so many amazing sights there. It made me what to move back after I'm done with school (or even before).

Here's an example of what you see (this is Milford Sound; I remember that trip perfectly; there were even some dolphins off the front of the ship):

http://www.travlang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/milford_33.jpg

I'm with Indoril, I spent three days there two years ago, and it was like they stole something out of a fantasy book then built New Zealand to fit.

Edit: Pics later, maybe. I'll have to sift through my collection of SD cards.

Edited by RZ1029

Sitting on near the crest of crown mountain, in western montana, as sunset, and watching the lights come in in cities.... 300 miles away. The view was so mesmerizing, I sat there for several hours, until it was full dark, then, I had to find my way back to the campsite....... I slept in the crook of two trees that night...... found the campsite later, after the sun had come back up again. :D

The French alps.

I've always wanted to see and feel snow in my hands ever since I was a little boy. I had the chance to do so in France when I was 14, and seeing the mountains and actually being able to skii up there, was an amazing experience I will never forget. The chilly air, the crisp, crunching flakes of white as you step over them in your airtight boots, that laugh and rush of excitement and adrenaline when you're racing down a slope at 25 mph and bust your butt when you slip and fall...those moments where some of the best of my life. It's a sight to behold as you lose yourself in the hours of fun.

Not easy to remember.... The latest one was on the tallest "mountain" in Denmark.... Which is actually 20 meters lower than where my house is ^^