Men's Medieval clothing

Kano Talion

The (potential) problem with taking a robe and making it into a Gambeson is that a gambeson is supposed to overlay armour, so the result is a twin layer mesh with the underlying mesh being chain mail. The restricted number of clothing slots really causes a few headaches for multi-layer armour. You may be able to cheat, of course, using a neck slot for the gambeson - but then it would un-equip any amulet you might have. However, it MAY not be insurmountable but might take some clever scripting to allow more than one amulet slot and then use one for the gambeson IF a chain mail coat is aleady in place. That's why I suggested initially starting with clothing not armour. Edited by MarkInMKUK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the H do you talking about? Multilayer? Amulet?

A Akteon is not the point, just the Mesh is the Point. If the Mesh is ready, uploaded as resource, everyone can make what he want with it. Clothing or armor is just a question of good textures for gods sake.

@Utyran - try thinking for a moment? The Gambeson is supposed to be worn OVER armour - be it chain mail, plate mail, ebony, or whatever. So how does "just making a mesh" help is show the armour of the correct type with the gambeson OVER it? If you REPLACE the armour with the Gambeson, then the armour stats all vanish because you have taken it off. Edited by MarkInMKUK

What if you make the gambeson with different versions that simply appear as though the armor is under it? Make different versions for each of the armor types, and give it the same armor rating as a cuirass of that type (ie: ebony gambeson = ebony cuirass in armor rating).

What if you make the gambeson with different versions that simply appear as though the armor is under it? Make different versions for each of the armor types, and give it the same armor rating as a cuirass of that type (ie: ebony gambeson = ebony cuirass in armor rating).

Yes, that could be done - although it's a lot of extra work. But then what happens when someone uses a non-stock armour item? If it can be made to use an additional amulet slot, the gambeson should overlay even custom armours IF they have a reasonably standard mesh shape - of course, the Manga-style "offspring of a demented thorny devil lizard" types won't work without clipping issues, but then the people who installed those probably wouldn't have downloaded a mod full of realistic medieval clothing anyway.

@Utyran - try thinking for a moment? The Gambeson is supposed to be worn OVER armour - be it chain mail, plate mail, ebony, or whatever. So how does "just making a mesh" help is show the armour of the correct type with the gambeson OVER it? If you REPLACE the armour with the Gambeson, then the armour stats all vanish because you have taken it off.

What? Does that matter? Thats totaly insignificant.

Seriosly pale, whats the Point?

Wanna wear it over an armor, use nifskope and replace the arms with the one of the Steel armor. Or whatever you want. You thinking totaly the wrong way how to do such things.

Set the Akteon as Amulet to wear it over the other things doesn't make sense at all. It should use the Upperbody slot like the other cuirass parts.

By the way, debating everything that refers to the Construction Set part of the Work is extraneous, because every moron can chance which Bodyparts this would affect. So maybee you should thinking for a moment.

Edited by Utyran

*facepalm* Ok im going to try and fix this discussion

Utyran -the image you posted was a gambeson. traditionally, gambeson's were worn over standard armours like leather or light iron as a form of early military uniform. what Mark is saying is that it would be good to have this possible in a clothing extention mod.

As with capes using the tail slot, the use of a unused item slot to enable the gambeson to be worn OVER base armours would be more realistic.

Your arguement; why not have different types, leather gambeson, iron gambeson, steel gambeson, ebony gambeson, glass gambeson, daedric gambeson, dwarven gambeson, orcish gambeson, elven gambeson. and then have different patterns of each?

Reason; that would take at least 12 different items for all the armour types. times X amount of different gambeson patterns. not to mention rendering mod added armours which are extremely popular, void.

I see what you are trying to come up with here.

From a personal point of view, if the gambeson was made to be worn over already existing armour, covering it(which is a great idea, dont get me wrong) i think it would not look as nice as it should. Why? Because you will need to make a gambeson mesh large enough so it will not clip horribly with the vanilla stock, and we know that this may work for chainmail, but not for something bulky like Legion Armor, Or Glass. Just think of the size and shape of those shoulders! I imagine the player character with this gambeson looking like some sort of fridge with legs. :laugh:

However as I said before, I am no good with meshes, so if there is a way to adjust the gambeson mesh to the armor without making it look weird, then I would be absolutely thrilled! It would be the best alternative so far.

On the other hand, the thought of making the same gambeson x12 (not to mention x24 if females are supported later on!) would make anyone quit before even starting. If I had to choose an option, I would make two gambeson meshes, one over chainmail, the other over mithril. Then we could have this repeated as heavy and light armor to satisfy the player's needs. And since you are adding the gambeson over it, I would also tweak up a little bit the armor rating (compared to mithril and chainmail)

How does that sound? ;)

I will not make 24 versions of one armor. That is too much work.

Just one version with the opportunity to remove the underarms is enough, I do the rest. Textures and the NifSkope add things.

AtlasS

what Mark is saying is that it would be good to have this possible in a clothing extention mod.

And that is BS from the word go.

Reason; that would take at least 12 different items for all the armour types.

And why should that be needful?