Men's Medieval clothing

Kano Talion

@alonsomartinez - I quite agree - 24 versions would be a stupid amount, and only someone totally obsessive would want to do that. I think, assuming (1) you can add a Gambeson in a neck slot and have it display correctly over the top of the armour already equipped, and (2) that a script can select between two versions of the mesh depending on heavy or light armour already being worn, that there would be a total of four meshes - Male (light), Male (heavy), Female (light) and Female (heavy). The heavy armour meshes should be first to be made, as they will also fit over light armour, albeit with an air gap, so just having those two would give a working set of items.

@Candex - "fridge with legs" is pretty much how it would look - or maybe a "marquee with legs" as it would be more tent-like.

@Utyran - if alonsomartinez is kind enough to originate a pair of meshes for male and female, if you can modify them to create a working system of equippable gambeson+armour sets, then I'd be very happy to see the result. I just think you'll end up with an awful lot of work script-wise to make the exchange of stats work. You'd also have problems if you had a Gambeson with its own enchantments to add to the armour stats, such as fire resistance. Then there's the additional problem of "on-the-fly" stat changes not always being saved in the save game. But please feel free to prove me wrong - anything which adds to the things we can do with Oblivion is well worth doing.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Utyran - if alonsomartinez is kind enough to originate a pair of meshes for male and female, if you can modify them to create a working system of equippable gambeson+armour sets, then I'd be very happy to see the result. I just think you'll end up with an awful lot of work script-wise to make the exchange of stats work. You'd also have problems if you had a Gambeson with its own enchantments to add to the armour stats, such as fire resistance. Then there's the additional problem of "on-the-fly" stat changes not always being saved in the save game. But please feel free to prove me wrong - anything which adds to the things we can do with Oblivion is well worth doing.

I can't understand why you making schemes about that now if the basic thing isn't even available.

For what in the world should we need a new scriptet equip system? Hey, a Gambeson was mosty weared under the armor. So why should there be a need for what you are describing.

I see no seanse in this idea and even more no practicability. So why should i even try to do this unnecessary script work? There is absolutly no need for that. It doesn't make sense that way are you describe.

Maybee alonsomartinez is realy so friendly to create such a Gambeson Mesh, that would be released as resources and everyone could do what ever he wants to do. But at the moment we just wasting a lot of time, debating on details which are insignificant.

Edited by Utyran

@Utyran - maybe it escaped your notice, but the item which was pictured as a Gambeson was displayed worn OVER chain mail - http://www.a2armory.com/images/medievalcostumes/men/lionheartgambeson.jpg - and all of the discussion has been very relevant to how to achieve THAT effect in game. A Gambeson should be capable of being worn on its own, or over armour, as a padded under-tunic is an aketon (which, as it is worn underneath IS completely concealed by other clothing).

As for the discussion, the original poster asked for a MOD, not just an item as a resource. That means a big part of the thread is VERY likely to be about how to make the clothing work/look correct in game, and in the case of an item such as a Gambeson, that has to include how to portray it as being worn over (or under) armour, or potentially on its own. Armour is, and always has been, a layered item - from an undertunic, then padding, then the armour itself, and then any Gambeson / surcoat / tabard over the armour for identification. The same technique used to achieve this visual effect should also then be applicable to basic clothing such as a jacket worn over a shirt, IF it can be made to work. Also any stat changes from the additional layers should be factored into your defence, even if the item concerned is completely concealed.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

just a question. dont flame me.

isnt it possible to write a script that disables meshes when run. so when the gambeson is put on it disables the cuirass mesh of whatever the person is wearing, but as the mesh is disabled rather than the item unequipped it gives all the bonus'?

AtlasS - probably ... there's also a guy working on an "on-the-fly" mesh combiner which would turn the two items into one composite item visually. All a moot point unless people want to start tinkering.

@Utyran - maybe it escaped your notice, but the item which was pictured as a Gambeson was displayed worn OVER chain mail

So chance the underarms texture or replace them with the Chainmail arms and the skirt part. No big deal and not even worth argue about.

Also, i want that as resource because it could be used in Skyrim too.

As for the discussion, the original poster asked for a MOD, not just an item as a resource.

Because people jelling for fitting shoes is also a very reason why i hate the request categorie and as good as no modder does a view on that.

Start with the basic things first, and the very problem at this point is, that we don't have even the resources.

By the way, is there any better idea how to create that Mesh than my Robe Idea? Could be save a lot of time and work.

Edited by Utyran

See whats happend? We argueing about nothing, wasting a lot of times and before something is done, the threand is buried under requests which aren't even worth reading them because people didn't even provided their own help.

Would these be any help?

Medieval Armor Resources resource

Croatian Medieval Armor

Crimson Covenant resource

Ghogiel's Armor Resource (see Men-at-Arms image, picture #2)

Arn the Knight Templar Equipment Set by theRoadstroker not a resource but contactable

Gabriels Crusader Gear permission given with credit

Maybe could do some mashups and get something more like you want?

There are some robes over mods that seem to all have some issues, but might have useful techniques.

I found a couple of sallets (need to contact Phitt on official ES forums): http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8220

And some Norman gear (contact probably also needed): http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10490