Fix for scaled leveling?

orph

Warning: random musings ahead.

I would think that setting up something effective for scaled leveling would be pretty simple to do if you take the time to consider which variables to use

1. give each quest a difficulty level based on a 1 to 10, but also given a level cap based on the type of enemies are in that quest

2. when the quest is given to the player, immediately fix the difficulty levels of enemies and loot to the player's level based on a factor of the difficulty level of the quest.

3. enemies out in the world not directly related to a quest can be fixed at a level a bit higher than most peasants, something that Joe Schmoe probably couldn't kill, but that say, a band of them could hold off while trying to colonize.

4. enemies for quests that haven't yet been discovered are not in the world until the quest has been given.

These rules were just scratched together, but I don't see any outright problems with them just yet.

here's a scenario how it might actually work:

you are level 10, town peasants (lv 2) got robbed by some bandits, you need to wipe them out and recover their loot. The bandits have a maximum level of 13. the quest difficulty is a 2

so, you accept the quest at lv 10, bandits are level 10*1.2=12 and to get to them you have to fight off some say.. level 3 or 4 world spawns.

try this again at level 20, the bandits are a level 13 because of their maximum level

try this at level 2 and bandits will be level 2.4, still tough, but probably manageable. Or you could go train elsewhere until you are level 5, and the bandits will still be level 2.4.

if the game system can't deal with decimals, then round up. *shrug*

If I can do that in 5 minutes, imagine what a studio could do given more time and more talent than I...

...I wonder what the flow chart is for the leveling found in fallout and Oblivion?