Using Console Commands

NocturneNight

Greetings, I have a fairly simple question. Recently I started playing a new character with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (And other miscellanous mods), and, as usual, I messed her up. :P So I was thinking about using the console (the showclassmenu and showracemenu commands in particular) to change some of her skills. However it suddenly struck me that I have no idea if that would have any negative impact on the game. So my question is simply if these (and similar) console commands are safe to use. :P

The showracemenu command will cause an issue if you click "done". You should make the changes you want, then save your game (either through the console or the esc menu) and reload it. Any changes you made should be present but this won't break your character's skills/stats/level progression.

I was told when I wanted to switch race to a custom one I downloaded, in the middle of an existing game, I had to save the game while the race menu is still open, don't close it. Then load up my new save. It seems after doing just that, and wandering around for a bit, I couldn't load up my autosave. Oblivion would crash everytime. So I started a new game.

I was told when I wanted to switch race to a custom one I downloaded, in the middle of an existing game, I had to save the game while the race menu is still open, don't close it. Then load up my new save. It seems after doing just that, and wandering around for a bit, I couldn't load up my autosave. Oblivion would crash everytime. So I started a new game.

That's the sort of thing I'm worried about, eventhough my own intuition and, by the looks of it, most people say it should be fine. :P I have a feeling your incident stemmed from loading a custom race that, for some reason, didn't work that well. :3

I have used these commands before on previous characters without anything bad happening, but you can't really tell. I'm worried that if I play along with the change and then, like, 100+ hours into the game I discover something's messed up. :P

As for the racemenu, if you do it right (create a save then load it), I suppose nothing should happen since the change will only be aesthetic and will only affect your own character. I suppose the same is true for the classmenu, except I'm not sure how/if a large mod that altered skill settings (like OOO) would respond to it. Ahhh well, most likely I just worry too much. Thanks guys. :)