Elevators... HOW THE %$^# DO THEY WORK!?

SalesKital

Keep it simple to learn the workings

SimpleElevatorMaster, its a Activator object

PlatformHelperFree01, Activator object also

A platform lift, static object

button control, activator object also

Set everything up ...just the above 4 items will work.

1) Copy a PlatformHelper object to your cell, you can make it smaller or larger to fit your elevator height

2) Copy and Center a platform lift object onto the platformhelper, can be placed at top or bottom of the platformhelper.

3) Copy a control button object and attach it to the lift

<Optional> Setup another control button on ground outside the lift

4) Copy a SimpleElevetaorMaster object and place in near the elevator

SimpleElevatorMaster:

Linked Reference to Button, use keyword LinkCustom02

Linked Reference to platformhelper, use keyword LinkCustom01

Linked Reference to Lift, use keyword LinkCustom05

Anything that moves up and down will need to be referenced to the Platform helper

The Lift, Attached Reference to the platformhelper

The control button that moves with the lift will also need a Attached Reference to the Platformhelper

The optional control button, chain your first button (the one that has the reference in SimpleElevatorMaster) to your

2nd button as a Linked Reference with a keyword of LinkCustom02 also.

sorry to say, but I'm not sure if this tutorial just is not clear, but it didn't work. I linked to the platform helper in the elevator car and the button on the elevator, but it doesn't move.

I never noticed that there was a second category called "attach ref" probably should have explaigned that a bit better. I've used various GECK's over the years but never had a need to use that category.

Just checked after noticing the "attach ref" category and using it. It works, I think I know where my elevator went wrong now.

The attatch ref thing was the only thing I missed for my elevator I already had, that and being able to resize the platform helper to suit my needs(thought it was a fixed size because it scaled in all directions at once).

Edited by SalesKital

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic really helped me understand elevators. I've managed to get the buttons and meter and lift moving and working, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with the elevator doors. I've linked them to the master elevator but they stay shut while everything else is working. Would anyone know what I would need to do to get them opening when the elevator is activated?

@Sirropoo - I tried this method and it worked really well. Excellent instructions, thank you. One thing didn't work the way I expected though, and that was this intruction:

"2) Copy and Center a platform lift object onto the platformhelper, can be placed at top or bottom of the platformhelper."

When I placed the platform at the top of the platformhelper, and then activated the lift via the button on the ground floor, the industrial lift platform I am using, and the lift button, did not come down to the bottom point of the platformhelper, but instead rose up a lot higher than the platformhelper all the way through the ceiling of my level. It was rather odd, since the platformhelper was not stretched to that point, so I have no idea why that occurred.

I'd really like to be able to have my lift begin at the top of the platformhelper, and then be called down by the player. Any suggestions? :)

Hey Raff, I was looking through the properties attached to the master elevator script last night. One of the options is to set the bstart at top bool to false. Just open the elevator master activator in object window and click on properties beside the script. I have not tested it myself but hopefully thats what your after :smile:

Hopefully someone can chime in tell me how to make the doors work cause I'm stuck

Thanks, muckfinger! Will give that a try :smile:

EDIT - That worked! May I ask, editing that particular property will only affect the instance of the script I am using on my SimpleElvatorMaster in my mod, right? And not all of the other instances of that script being used by vanilla SimpleElevatorMaster activators, right?

EDIT AGAIN - I have noticed that you can add a third elevator switch (so there's now one at the bottom, one at the top, and one in the lift itself) by simply repeating the last steps:

"[For] the optional third control button, chain your first second button (the one that has the reference in SimpleElevatorMaster) to your 2nd 3rd button as a Linked Reference with a keyword of LinkCustom02 also." -

And it works beautifully. What I'm trying to do now is to place a chair inside the lift, and to get that to use an attached ref to the elevatorhelper. Currently, using the chair I picked (NpcChairStadiumRedSit01) there appears to be no "attached ref" option, When I open the reference batch action box on the single item, I can see an option "for set attach to ref" but when using that option, it does not save the attached ref selection, and so it doesn't do anything. SOLVED - It's because chairs aren't static. Anything static can be placed in the lift.

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

Thats good you got it working. :)

I just looked again and you are right, I think it does change all the other instances as well.

You can just double click the reference in the window screen and go all the way over to scripts and change it there for your own.

If anyone is having problems with knowing what order to link the master elevator to, it tells you what each custom link number is for in the scripts section of the reference.

I just cant seem to work out the doors though :(

You can just double click the reference in the window screen and go all the way over to scripts and change it there for your own.

Fantastic! Well spotted. For someone like me, these instructions are so helpful. :)

If anyone is having problems with knowing what order to link the master elevator to, it tells you what each custom link number is for in the scripts section of the reference.

Again, well spotted. Going to check these out. Thanks so much!

I just cant seem to work out the doors though :sad:

I will see if I can suss these out tomorrow. Though I can't imagine I will crack it if you haven't been able to. :P

Thanks for your help, muckfinger!

Your welcome :smile:

Let me know how you go

EDIT: Okay I got the doors working. I have no idea why it wasn't working last night as I did not change anything.

I dont know if it makes a difference, but I used the master elevator rather then the simple master elevator activator for anyone else who might want to know

Edited by muckfinger

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting info...thanks for the elevator tips. Is it possible to link 2 platformhelpers together? For the pure reason you can only scale platformhelper so far. Is it possible for an elevator to reach the end of one platformhelper and go onto the next? Thank you.