Laptop Power Slot

My laptop has been having trouble plugging in as of late. I am very certain that it is the slot that the power cord goes into (Located on the laptop) that is causing the trouble. I would like so feedback before I tear it open, or buy a new one (Like I have any money D:).

Any suggestions?

There are two possibilities - either the lead inside the plug is dodgy, or one of the solder joints between the power socket and the motherboard is knackered. If the socket appears to wobble a little when prodded gently with a pen, then the solder joints are favourite. They MIGHT be fixable with a fine point soldering iron - depends whether the tracks have lifted too.

There are two possibilities - either the lead inside the plug is dodgy, or one of the solder joints between the power socket and the motherboard is knackered. If the socket appears to wobble a little when prodded gently with a pen, then the solder joints are favourite. They MIGHT be fixable with a fine point soldering iron - depends whether the tracks have lifted too.

It wiggles slightly. But I don't know the first thing about soldering.

Well, you have to either hunt down a repair place you trust, an electronics engineer who'll give it a whirl, or buy a new lappy. I'd try the other two options first.

Well, you have to either hunt down a repair place you trust, an electronics engineer who'll give it a whirl, or buy a new lappy. I'd try the other two options first.

Of course. I don't have the money for a new one anyway. Thanks for your input. ;D

It wiggles slightly. But I don't know the first thing about soldering.

If you want to try to soldering thats become to an easy..First thing a part you want to solder is not in dangerous area (no high voltages), another thing power socket located in the side of circuit board so this will not bothering other components...Just make sure power cables and battery has been removed before soldering...I'd recommend using solder 60W-120W, its enough for that..and dont forget to use Multimeter to check the joints..

Another possibility - a broken wire in the cord that goes between the bower brick and the laptop. This can be found by watching the indicator that tells if you are on AC power or battery power while wiggling the cord. Be sure to hold the plug steady while doing this. Wiggling the power plug where it goes into the laptop will show if the internal connection is bad. The indication is if the indicator changes from AC to battery and back when you wiggle.

The cord is much easier to repair than an internal connection. And, a new power brick is quite a bit cheaper than a new laptop. :thumbsup: