Morrowind models to Oblivion?

Lehcar

Recently I dug up a dagger that I made for Morrowind a (very) long time ago, I'd all but forgotten about it since I rarely play Morrowind anymore. I'm quite pleased about the work I did on the model and don't want it to go to waste, so I would like to use it on Oblivion, but how would I go about doing that? I'm assuming I can't directly copy it over... or can I? How can Morrowind weapon models be used in Oblivion? Do they need to be converted somehow? Edited by Lehcar

Well the nif tools exporter for 3ds max allows you to choose from oblivion or morrowind, this would suggest there's differences in the structure of the nif files.

Since nobody has replied yet, I'll give a suggestion:

1) Put the texture in the Oblivion directory along with a normal map.

2) Import your old nif file it into 3ds max and re-export it as an Oblivion nif.

3) Open your newly exported nif and a standard Oblivion dagger.

4) Delete the "NiTriStrips block" for the standard dagger.

5) Copy and paste YOUR "NiTriStrips block" into the standard oblivion "NiNode" at the top.

6) Set your flags for your "NiTriStrips" collision detection to continue. (block details window)

7) Check the "NiTextureingProperty" is pointing to your texture in the OBLIVION directory!

8) Check your names and collisions.

9) "save as" In your Oblivion meshes directory.

If it doesn't work or you don't have 3ds max or niftools, send me an email with an attachment and a PM on here and I'll do it for you.

Knowing nifskope and how versatile it can be there's probably an easier way you can do it all in that program. I lack the knowledge but, there's also no reason why this shouldn't work either.

The copyright only goes for the original content created by Bethesda or some licensed third party content. The latter would most likely be the cause for the whole "can't use Morrowind assets in Oblivion" trouble, as the assets were only licensed to be used in Morrowind and not even Bethesda may use them in another game. Reading the EULA right you are not even allowed to "use" Morrowind content in your Oblivion not even at home on your drive for personal use only.

However, here we're talking about a "custom" made dagger the OP created himself back then for Morrowind and now wants to use it in Oblivion, which should be his right, as it is his creation and property, provided it's not depending on any official Morrowind resources.