Need help finding right rpg for PS2

Goodfortitude

Hello all!

I have been looking, unsuccessfully, for an rpg for ps2 that has character generation in it. I would like to be able to role the stats for the character, anyway. I haven't found anything yet. I even ordered the older "dark alliance" thinking that it would have this ability, but you only choose from 3 different characters. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated, as I have been able to find nothing. Thanx ahead.

There really aren't any good RPGs for PS2, or even consoles that allow open ended creation. Much of this is because most of that open ended generation kills off most potential to develop the storyline a certain way. Meaning that at the price of gaining freedom, you lose the depth. Come to think of it, I can't recall a single "good" rpg game for PS2 that didn't sacrifice one for the other (and end up failing horribly due to weakened storyline). The only one that I can remember was some ROTK (dynasty wariors) based RPG/strategy game where you played the role of a general. Which did feature some depth as well as bredth, but doesn't exactly fall into the modern view of rpgs. That said, I think "Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest" might even be one of those games that was designed to work with the PS2 broadband connection, so you may want to do a bit more research before buying it.

Seriously though, you're better off just trying to find a game with a character who is close to what you'd want to end up playing anyway, rather than deal with that broad range of possibilities at the cost of function, storyline, or anything which would be entertaining. This is afterall one of the reasons why consoles are't as good as a PC. They're designed for an audience which wants instant, uncomplicated, and disposable entertainment. This is also why Oblivion failed, why fable sucked, and most dual launch games will also suck. Console games aren't designed to entertain you past 24-36 hours, doing so would afterall probably reduce sales since people wouldn't be constantly buying/renting new games to keep entertained. Simply put, as far as consoles go, don't expect much, you'll often get less.

Archived