Data folder overload.

Lehcar

Don't ask me how I've ended up with over 30 gb of crap in my Data folder. I don't know how it could have happened. I just don't know.

But please, oh please, can anyone give me some advice on how to clean it out? Where in the world should I even start? How do I make sure i don't accidentally delete stuff I still need for the mods I am using? :(

If you still have backups of your mods, that you want to keep, delete the whole folder apart from the vanilla Oblivion things. Then just copy in those mods. If you don't have them, then it'll be harder. you have to look into each folder and see, which files are not needed to any of your mods.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I guess it's a little late to say "You should have used either Oblivion Mod Manager or Bash Installers to install stuff"

OK - First thing to do is to make a list of exactly which mods you DO have installed - not only the visible ones with ESPs but also the texture replacers, and script plugins.

Next - Create OMOD or BAIN versions of EVERYTHING on your list, depending on which you prefer.

Then - download and install mTES4 Manager. Use that to set up your existing install of Oblivion as a "clone", and a brand new, 100% fresh install as a second clone. Then, painstakingly, reinstall the mods you want to keep one by one on the fresh clone, while still being able to swap to the old setup to PLAY the game.

Finally, once you have a fully working "new" clone and are happy, delete the original copy and run with the new one.

Strangely enough, I am currently doing exactly the same process. I am also taking the time to do all of those "geeky"/"perfectionist" bits like optimising the original meshes using PYFFI and repacking the bsa archives, thus reducing the processing which the system has to do in order to run Oblivion, and doing the same optimisation on each and every mod as I install it. I'm also "cleaning" any mods which BOSS flags as "dirty", using TES4Edit.

Maybe I'll still be sane (ok, as near sane as ever) at the end - but at least using mTES4 Manager I can still play WHILE renovation work goes ahead.