Can someone help with OBSE?

Slasher007

Hi everyone, I could really use some help in figuring out this OBSE oddity.

I mainly want it just to run DeadlyReflex, in the hopes that it would fix Oblivion's boooring combat and make this game truly flawless. The problem is, I did everything I was told to, OBSE is working (I guess) properly, but I just don't know how to actually load any mods with it. When I run the OBSE .exe (and yes it's all installed properly etc.) it just runs the game immediately and doesn't prompt me to activate any .esps and the like.

Unlike OBMM, which is very user friendly and with which I had no problems, OBSE is outright hostile to new users in that it comes with virtually no explanation on how to use it. It only exlpains how to "install" it by putting the .dlls and .exe in the Oblivion folder and to run the game via the OBSE executable. Other than that, the only "guide" I could find on the whole World Wide Web was a looooong list of complicated console commands that I don't want or need.

So, the question is, how do I get the damned thing to actually LOAD MODS????

How can I set the loading order of the mods like in OBMM?

Any help would be appreciated, and I think stickiying a short OBSE tutorial in this forum would be a good idea to prevent these topics in the future.

I don't use OBSE, but I believe that if you launch the game from OBMM it stats up OBSE if you have it installed. However I would be more inclined to think that OBSE would simply use whatever mods were already active, meaning that if you activated them in the standard launcher or OBMM, they should be working when you start OBSE.

• 2 years later...

You just install it the way it says and the use the obse_loader.exe.

That's all you have to do and then it's running.

I know this post is from back in 2007.

HOWEVER, what I have found, is MANY PLACES where MANY have had problems regarding how to install this OBSE thingy (including me), yet I DONT see anyone explaining it in FULL.

YES, (I DO) get that one needs to place in the main folder where the oblivion.exe is located, to place the files like this:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_loader.exe to your Oblivion directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder, and should contain files called "Oblivion.exe" and "OblivionLauncher.exe".

2. Run oblivion by running obse_loader.exe from the Oblivion directory.

If you use a desktop shortcut to launch Oblivion normally, just update the shortcut to point to obse_loader.exe instead of oblivion.exe.

IF you own the retail one.

BUT! AND I FOR SURE MEAN A BIG BUT!

Here is the PROBLEM.

That help (and help I have read MANY PLACES through out this website, states follow that info.

Well, here is the thing, that is ONLY three (COUNT THEM) 3 files.

But, have you or anyone LOOKED at the OBSE zip, and unpacked it?

IT HAS 297 files in the zip file!

What I DO NOT FIND from ANYONE HERE, is HELP on how to use the file and install it.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE:

You place these three (HERE), the text files (here), the (this file/s (here) and so forth.

EVEN I don't know what I am suppose to do with the OTHER 294 files!

Well, ok, the ones in regards to :

If you are using the Steam version of the game:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".

OK, for those who understand that version!

But that still leaves 294 that no-one is explaining what there for?

Are they needed?

If yes, how/why/where?

And if you need it for playing a mod, cool, what do we do with them?

Do they all go into the place where the three go?

And if there not needed, can you just delete them under trash?

And if needed, why don't any help I have found, bring up there need/use/instructions on how to use them/where and for what/how. ETC ETC ....????

I have yet to find (well me that is for certain) a post FULLY HELPING ON THIS MATTER..

Thanks..... ;-0

Here is the PROBLEM.

That help (and help I have read MANY PLACES through out this website, states follow that info.

What I DO NOT FIND from ANYONE HERE, is HELP on how to use the file and install it.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE:

You place these three (HERE), the text files (here), the (this file/s (here) and so forth.

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".

Are they needed?

If yes, how/why/where?

And if needed, why don't any help I have found, bring up there need/use/instructions on how to use them/where and for what/how. ETC ETC ....????

I have yet to find (well me that is for certain) a post FULLY HELPING ON THIS MATTER..

Thanks..... ;-0

OBSE is distributed as an open source program.

The other 294+ files that you don't know what to do with are in a directory called "src" inside of the zip file. You do not need to install them anywhere. The only reasons you might have to even look at them is that you are simply curious, or you are a programmer and you want to build a customized version (and you have all of the necessary compilers, etc to be able to compile the source code into a new dll).

Shadowfen is absolutely right, the src is the original code files used to create the working program. These are used by modders in order to understand the way the program works. It gives them insight as to what they can do with the program other than the normal use. Not every mod and program you download will contain source code, that is the most valuable part to any program. For instance a game engine source code is something you would not just release to the public, source code is the bread and butter of any programmer, without it all you can do is run the program, you can't see how it was created. Most times the extra files located within the download are SS's, readme's, and other forms of informatory info.

The first thing you should do when downloading any mod/program is to look at the type of files located with the DL, things like .exe, .dll, .esp, .bsa, .dds, etc... are important parts of the mod/program, they are meshes, textures, applications, and application extensions to give you a few examples. Things like text files, .jpg, and .html are I don't want to say useless, but they are not vital to the program running. Of course a readme text file is helpful in regard to installs, updates, etc... but if you don't extract them to the e.g Data folder the program will still run fine...

Sometimes you will see vital files located in a named folder and they need to be taken out of this folder and put into the correct game folders (most times you are reminded of this in the readme), I have come across this a few times in the past for other games. At first not knowing I just put the main folder in and tried the mod and nothing. I then looked further and found that I needed to dig deeper than that main file and put the folders/files contained within it into main game folders. The reason was that the program ignored an unknown folder and didn't pick up the files contained within it...

Once OBSE is installed it will allow any mod to run that requires OBSE... You don't load anything with it. To give you an example of what I mean: You have a TV, what do you need for the TV to work? Electricity. Without it the TV just sits there, the same with OBSE dependent mods. OBSE is the electricity for the mod... To use an OBSE dependent mod, put the mod files in your data folder, click the .esp in the OB launcher (click OK, then exit the OB launcher). Use the OBSE launcher to start the game... It is not like OBMM where you manually go in and activate the mod within the OBSE program. At least as far as I know OBSE is just an enabler...

Hope I helped, I am new to modding with oblivion. I have modded and used mods in several other games, each is somewhat different. It takes some time to get used to things. Be patient. Trust me you aren't the only one that has had trouble getting OBSE to work. I needed a few tries myself to get it running. Make sure you are using the OBSE launcher to start your game...

Edit: To install OBSE put these files (obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_loader.exe) in your MAIN oblivion folder, not the data folder. Unless you are using the steam version, then use that file instead of the 416 file. Another thing you need the 416 update. Those are the only vital files to running it. Launch the game with the obse loader (application file, it will be in you main oblivion folder) to verify if it is working save your game, then look in Start->documents->my games->oblivion->Saves. OBSE creates and extra save file when you save your game... You should see a normal .ess save file as well as an .obse save file. This will give you an indication if you did it right. Now load an OBSE dependant mod, and verify that it is working in game...

Here is the PROBLEM.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE:

Are they needed?

If yes, how/why/where?

Thanks..... ;-0

OBSE is distributed as an open source program.

The other 294+ files that you don't know what to do with are in a directory called "src" inside of the zip file. You do not need to install them anywhere. The only reasons you might have to even look at them is that you are simply curious, or you are a programmer and you want to build a customized version (and you have all of the necessary compilers, etc to be able to compile the source code into a new dll).

Ahh, do you have a "PEA" for a brain?

(OR: Do you just NOT get/understand what it was ALL I was asking/saying above?)

PEHAPS, SOMEONE, might wish to make/build a mod using OBSE...

As well for playing one.

It is after all designed to be used for both built mods (using it), and those that get built (with it), is this not correct?

Now, >>>IF<< that above is an correct comment, it then would stand to make one (OR ANYONE), to reason when they ask how to install OBSE, that there would (or least I would think to reasonably consider), that knowing what can be done to use/install/ and place the file/s where there needed, does help to cover ALL BASES...

Now to me personally, that stands to be logical.

EXSPECIALLY when offering that info, would any here not think that perhaps offering that info, would cover ALL BASES for ALL who may or may not need help with the program?

VS, having to hunt through X TONS/(place number here you wish) of help posts, when covering the entire help to any who may need it, would conlude to be of MUCH more help to everyone who needs it, IF ALL help was placed in one place to use the program?

Not to sound I am in any way un-thankful when I do get help, because I am, WHEN I do.

>BUT< It to me stands to make way more sence when helping someone, to cover all bases of information, if one does not know they need a frying pain to cook eggs in, and you need a pork item called bacon to make bacon, you dont tell them go get a stove, and leave out the other help that may or may not be needed.

And yes, there are folks that stupid who do not know they need a frying pan, so I say why not make life simpler, and just help someone, by being throurghly?

When I give help to someone in life, I don't give help half*s*ed...

Granted, I know one can't write the bible when helping, still when one asks, how do I install (this program here) one would not respond with an answer that don't cover all about that file.

When one asks how to install a mod manually, they don't say; drop the esp into the data file folder, and leave out what to do with the folder structures, the meshes, the dds's and so forth, the other files, now do they?

There are those who wish to buld mods, and it seems this program is liked lots, so why not someone explain how to install it, and use it?

However, I thank you for (your) fast responce as you did.

Yet your reply does not help anyone (if very few) to what my post was acually asking about.

:-)

Shadowfen is absolutely right, the src is the original code files used to create the working program. These are used by modders in order to understand the way the program works. It gives them insight as to what they can do with the program other than the normal use. Not every mod and program you download will contain source code, that is the most valuable part to any program. For instance a game engine source code is something you would not just release to the public, source code is the bread and butter of any programmer, without it all you can do is run the program, you can't see how it was created. Most times the extra files located within the download are SS's, readme's, and other forms of informatory info.

The first thing you should do when downloading any mod/program is to look at the type of files located with the DL, things like .exe, .dll, .esp, .bsa, .dds, etc... are important parts of the mod/program, they are meshes, textures, applications, and application extensions to give you a few examples. Things like text files, .jpg, and .html are I don't want to say useless, but they are not vital to the program running. Of course a readme text file is helpful in regard to installs, updates, etc... but if you don't extract them to the e.g Data folder the program will still run fine...

Sometimes you will see vital files located in a named folder and they need to be taken out of this folder and put into the correct game folders (most times you are reminded of this in the readme), I have come across this a few times in the past for other games. At first not knowing I just put the main folder in and tried the mod and nothing. I then looked further and found that I needed to dig deeper than that main file and put the folders/files contained within it into main game folders. The reason was that the program ignored an unknown folder and didn't pick up the files contained within it...

Once OBSE is installed it will allow any mod to run that requires OBSE... You don't load anything with it. To give you an example of what I mean: You have a TV, what do you need for the TV to work? Electricity. Without it the TV just sits there, the same with OBSE dependent mods. OBSE is the electricity for the mod... To use an OBSE dependent mod, put the mod files in your data folder, click the .esp in the OB launcher and the mod should work... It is not like OBMM where you manually go in, and activate the mod. At least as far as I know. OBSE is just an enabler...

Hope I helped, I am new to modding with oblivion. I have modded and used mods in several other games, each is somewhat different. It takes some time to get used to things. Be patient. Trust me you aren't the only one that has had trouble getting OBSE to work. I needed a few tries myself to get it running. Make sure you are using the OBSE launcher to start your game...

LAUGHS HERE, we BOTH just happen to be posting/typing at same time....

And, yes, thats what I mean by being MORE infomative. And I see your beinf so, (I just read/seen your reply just after I was done typing and posting, not before.

HOWEVER, it still stands, would be nice to better understand how the program is installed to use it to its fullest.

OR perhaps, a better solution, one file with three files, for playing mods only, and one with 300+ and a GOOD readme showing how to install and use it both for mod use and making mods.

To have a file with all those files, and say drop 3 here, and not some reasoning/help with the other files to me is lacking professionalism and or lack of teaching others about proper moding lessons 101.

Least this is what I have grown on to learn from those I have seeked out for help ever since I played touch Morrowind and mods.

And thanks. :-)

lol I redid my post a few times, I didn't read the quote you made so I might have given you a lil more info with my final edition... Reread mine and see if it helps more. I agree sometimes they should be a lil more helpful with a full step by step tutorial and why you don't need the others and maybe even what they are really for. I think most modders assume that everyone knows what they are doing and forget about the newer people...