stalker COP crashes on save

Dan3345

So I have stalker COP for a while now, and recently after changing out my old gtx 460 for a my new 6950 2gb the game will hang on save for ten minutes before coming back. Every kind of save, autosave, quicksave it doesn't matter. And its really bothering me because on my gtx the game stuttered everywhere, and on my new card I am maxed in everything and it plays brilliantly other than the saving. Also when I open the menu with escape key the game hangs for a bout five minutes then finally opens it. I have stalker complete installed, however before I had it installed I was still having these problems..

My drivers are up to date and I have reinstalled the game twice now in the last two days and gotten no luck.

So I have stalker COP for a while now, and recently after changing out my old gtx 460 for a my new 6950 2gb the game will hang on save for ten minutes before coming back. Every kind of save, autosave, quicksave it doesn't matter. And its really bothering me because on my gtx the game stuttered everywhere, and on my new card I am maxed in everything and it plays brilliantly other than the saving. Also when I open the menu with escape key the game hangs for a bout five minutes then finally opens it. I have stalker complete installed, however before I had it installed I was still having these problems..

My drivers are up to date and I have reinstalled the game twice now in the last two days and gotten no luck.

My best guess would be to remove your user.ltx located in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat\User.ltx" and then trying to start again. (This file stores all your game settings: graphics, audio, controls, etc..) this will force your computer to re-detect your hardware, and thus your new graphics card.

This solved a similar problem for me a while ago.

You can also just rename user.ltx to anything else like "OLDUser.ltx". this will have the same effect as deleting it, but if it doesn't work you can simply rename it back to "user.ltx".

Hope this helps :)

How about checking "C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat\logs\xray_>Username< .log"?

Open the file, scroll all the way down. It should give some sort of description as to why keeps hanging. :unsure:

Edited by Urwy

So my logs/xray_username etc is not where it should be based upon that description, i looked throughout my documents library public and otherwise. I also checked the actual game folder in steam and couln't find it there either. Perhaps this is the problem.

Near the bottom of the file should be a line that says something similar to: "error:......" or "crash:......" Where the dots represent the cause of the error.

Or, if you wont mind me having a look at it, you could upload it here as an attachment. I've played that game a lot a while ago. even modded it. so maybe my memory will serve me and help locate the problem :)

or as i have found fiddle with a graphic setting or click auto dectect (if there is one can't quite remember) and click apply it should work