Why should we believe shaun?

Dan3345

I searched because I believed this would be an obvious topic of discussion and couldn't really find anything on this. Maybe I used the wrong search terms, anyways..

Why is the protagonist supposed to believe Shaun? I've completed every ending and the Institute one just left me with a sort of "are you serious?" Daddy wanders into the institute and is reunited with kiddo Shaun who is all grown up, but we're just supposed to take his word on it that he is the real Shaun and the protag just accepts this if you go down that road. It seems that even if the protag doesn't go along with the Institute he/she still sort of accepts that the old man before them is their kidnapped son.

I completely get the coincidental nature of this, but to me this all seems too perfect.

Anyone see this? I was talking with some buds about this and we were all kind of thinking the same thing.

Edited by Dan3345

I have seen lots of threads like this. One post I remember that stands out as empirical evidence stated that the Shaun baby and Father will both reflect the skin tone of the parent as well as other features. He has your nose. If you kill him he is not a synth so therefore...

See the problem i have with that is the developers could have made that just to add to the "he is your son" bit.

Anyways I did a better search and found more of these discussions, so with nothing more to add I'm to try and either let this go to rest, or see about getting this closed.

I searched because I believed this would be an obvious topic of discussion and couldn't really find anything on this. Maybe I used the wrong search terms, anyways..

Why is the protagonist supposed to believe Shaun? I've completed every ending and the Institute one just left me with a sort of "are you serious?" Daddy wanders into the institute and is reunited with kiddo Shaun who is all grown up, but we're just supposed to take his word on it that he is the real Shaun and the protag just accepts this if you go down that road. It seems that even if the protag doesn't go along with the Institute he/she still sort of accepts that the old man before them is their kidnapped son.

I completely get the coincidental nature of this, but to me this all seems too perfect.

Anyone see this? I was talking with some buds about this and we were all kind of thinking the same thing.

He has no reason to lie about any of this. He is the Director of the Institute, with an army of Gen 2 Synths and loyal Coursers at his disposal and the backing of some of the greatest scientific minds the world has ever seen.

What would one wastelander be to this man if there was no connection such as family? He has better things to do than lie to you. More important things. Phase 3 for instance...

Edited by CyrusAmell

He has no reason to lie about any of this. He is the Director of the Institute, with an army of Gen 2 Synths and loyal Coursers at his disposal and the backing of some of the greatest scientific minds the world has ever seen.

What would one wastelander be to this man if there was no connection such as family? He has better things to do than lie to you. More important things. Phase 3 for instance...

This.

at first i was thinking he lies to me to get my attention and i dont kill him right away, but it all made sense, i actually expected my own character to be revealed as synth at this time but it never happened

*FAR HARBOR SPOILER INCOMING*

------------------------------------------------

Well the DiMA talk was interesting on that front too, its suspicious the only time the character mentions something about the things that happened before the game started was when Male SoleSurvivor says to Kells that he used to be a Soldier, and FemSoSu never talks about her past as a lawyeress, very suspicious. Still no weird dreams, i still wonder if kasumi is a synth, i should kill her once and check it out^^

Edited by Thaneize

at first i was thinking he lies to me to get my attention and i dont kill him right away, but it all made sense, i actually expected my own character to be revealed as synth at this time but it never happened

Well the DiMA talk was interesting on that front too, its suspicious the only time the character mentions something about the things that happened before the game started was when Male SoleSurvivor says to Kells that he used to be a Soldier, and FemSoSu never talks about her past as a lawyeress, very suspicious. Still no weird dreams, i still wonder if kasumi is a synth, i should kill her once and check it out^^

Both game mechanic-wise and story-wise, everything seems to point in the direction of her not being a synth. She doesn't drop a synth component, but that could be an oversight of course, since there are other confirmed synths in the game that don't drop the component. SPOILER: Siding with the Institute, they confirm that they don't have a synth with her name. So only option would be that she was replaced and mindwiped by the Railroad. But for that to have happened, she would have gone missing before and her parents would have mentioned that. So it's safe to say she's not a synth.

Women who are lawyers are just called lawyers (or attorneys). I should know, I am in Law School.

Still, it was rather strange that my character could not refute DiMA's assertion as to this possibility. Though it would be highly unlikely that we were a synth after everything that has happened.

thanks for that, as you might have noticed, english is not my native language, so sometimes I write down wrong things which seemed right to me.

Well with how DiMA says it, its not quite unlikely that the SoSu is a synth. You basically know nothing else than the last 20 minutes or so of the Day the war began. There is a railroad watching post right behind Vault 111 on a little hill and magically Deacon knows about you even if the first thing you do after leaving the Vault is going to the Railroad.

Could be coincidence or bad writing or whatever, but it could also be an inteded plot that you have to possibility to be a synth. The covenant test wasn't positive on the SOSu too, but its inaccurate and actually nothing else that the G.O.A.T. (Vault tec test to choose your future job) from previous fallout games.

We will likely never know if SoSu is a synth or not, but i guess thats a thing you have to decide xD, Bethesdas plan i'd say

Something blew my mind for at least 10 minutes though, in my first institute-playthrough I played a male named Leo, when i read the courser terminals and suddenly noticed a Synth last seen in corvega named Leo, i went WTF, am i a synth? Instantly loaded another savegame, but well, this guy is always named Leo...

i dont believe that shaun. he know that the player can kill everything in this fallout 4 with 4- 10 clicks.

the logic when he talk with player in the 1 place is too funny too.

people kill your dad and you are happy with them . working with them . too perfect dream. like a bot .