Aliens

Lehcar

Supposing there is extraterrestrial life, I don't see why there would consider us insignificant. Suppose we finally got the technology to explore the great beyond, and we found another planet with nothing more than living cells. That's it, cells. Yes, it's technologically primitive compared to ourselves, but that would be an extremely fascinating occurrence if we've never seen life on a planet other than our own. Why would they ignore us?

Supposing there is extraterrestrial life, I don't see why there would consider us insignificant. Suppose we finally got the technology to explore the great beyond, and we found another planet with nothing more than living cells. That's it, cells. Yes, it's technologically primitive compared to ourselves, but that would be an extremely fascinating occurrence if we've never seen life on a planet other than our own. Why would they ignore us?

Depends what you would consider ignore.

They simply may not know about us for one. They may know about us, and sometimes keep a eye on us. They may simply not care yet since they don't know what will happen with the human race.

If humans decided to start using more advanced means of energy, and we got past political problems, I think something might take interest if they knew we exist.

They simply may not know about us for one. They may know about us, and sometimes keep a eye on us. They may simply not care yet since they don't know what will happen with the human race.

If humans decided to start using more advanced means of energy, and we got past political problems, I think something might take interest if they knew we exist.

Hah, the minute we get past political problems they might stop by to ask us how the hell we managed to do that! :laugh:

The real question is why would they take interest in humanity? Given the vastness of space, and the inevitably large numbers of life forms out there, what makes us so special? And what's to say that it would be a government graft that stops bye? If a family is out RVing during a summer vacation, how much interest do you think a kid would take in a well-developed ant-hill? How much interest might the mother or father take in this ant hill? And how much interest would a senator take in this complex ant hill? Sure, it might be a super rare form of ant that is yet to be discovered by science, but in the end, the only person who would give a damn about the ants for more than a few seconds is an Entomologist.

Hah, the minute we get past political problems they might stop by to ask us how the hell we managed to do that! :laugh:

The real question is why would they take interest in humanity? Given the vastness of space, and the inevitably large numbers of life forms out there, what makes us so special? And what's to say that it would be a government graft that stops bye? If a family is out RVing during a summer vacation, how much interest do you think a kid would take in a well-developed ant-hill? How much interest might the mother or father take in this ant hill? And how much interest would a senator take in this complex ant hill? Sure, it might be a super rare form of ant that is yet to be discovered by science, but in the end, the only person who would give a damn about the ants for more than a few seconds is an Entomologist.

Currently a alien race has no reason to take interest in us.

However, they will probably respect evolving life and simply ignore us instead of stomping us.

Later on though, once we have the ability to travel through our galaxy, they will have a reason to take interest since we might become a threat.

I actually meant to direct the reply to dicecaster. Sorry about that.

But I totally do agree with your statement that we may become a threat to aliens should we somehow develop a means of interstellar travel.

I suppose that's true. Fair enough, you win this one.

Another thing: many posters are assuming that a given extraterrestrial people would have most or all of their political problems and such solved, but that's not necessarily the case. We, for example, could develop spaceships and tell all their pilots, "If you meet any space aliens, shoot to kill is always the best policy." What makes alien life different?

But I totally do agree with your statement that we may become a threat to aliens should we somehow develop a means of interstellar travel.

Another thing: many posters are assuming that a given extraterrestrial people would have most or all of their political problems and such solved, but that's not necessarily the case. We, for example, could develop spaceships and tell all their pilots, "If you meet any space aliens, shoot to kill is always the best policy." What makes alien life different?

What are the chances of humanity developing inter stellar space travel anytime soon? I find it more likely humanity will blow itself up before that point. If we don't blow ourselves up, then we will probably be quite peaceful by the time we get to that point.

What are the chances of humanity developing inter stellar space travel anytime soon? I find it more likely humanity will blow itself up before that point. If we don't blow ourselves up, then we will probably be quite peaceful by the time we get to that point.

100 years ago: "If we humans don't kill ourselves by the tie a man walks on the moon, we're bound to be very peaceful at that point." See my point?

100 years ago: "If we humans don't kill ourselves by the tie a man walks on the moon, we're bound to be very peaceful at that point." See my point?

Not the same thing. We got to the moon on a giant firecracker.

Interstellar space travel will require new technology and will extend the human race beyond our solar system.