Is Skyrim over-hyped??

harowan

Ok so i've gotten myself REALLY excited about this game. So much so that i went and watched the Oblivion demo from E3 2005, and I noticed that yours truly Mr Todd Howard made all these promises about how amazing Oblivion will be, saying that it had over 1000 NPC's with loads of dialogue and that they interact with the game world with jobs etc. Then when we got oblivion their jobs were mainly walking and standing around and the conversations never got further then "I saw a mudcrab the other day" or "Hello, I'm done talking to you, Goodbye."

Is anyone else worried that Bethesda might be overselling their game a little bit?? Because we had the same promises with Fallout 3.

Having said all that I've still preordered it :P

It's mostly the players that are overhyping the game for themselves this time I think. The AI stuff in Oblivion didn't turn out quite as they had presented it, but this time they're much closer to release while presenting features so by now they know what works and what doesn't. For Oblivion they said afterwards that they had to scale the AI back because of issues.

Well, if you think about it Oblivion did have a few unique actions. NPCs ate, drank, read books, and conversed although a bit stiltedly. And that was only in urban settings. Outside, they picked stuff and hoed the ground though we didn't see any visual deformation of the ground. And they had couriers that ran about delivering without any provocation.

It is pretty ground-breaking in realism for a 5-6 yr old game with technology that was not fully explored yet.

With some of the conversation scenes played and general ambience footage, I feel confident that Bethesda will present a decent product. It might not exceed or even fulfill EVERYTHING they are promising but I don't believe we will be disappointed in any great way in terms of immersion.

It's mostly the players that are overhyping the game for themselves this time I think.

I agree, if I think back and look at all the things Bethesda has promised about the game, most of it is rather conservative, or then it's the now notorious phrase, "I'd love to talk about this or that, but I can't."

This, if I've understood right has been done so as to not make the same PR mistakes Bethesda committed with Oblivion.

Do I think Skyrim is being over-hyped? Definitely, do I think it's Bethesda's doing? No..

For example, there are still loads of people asking whether you can ride dragons, which has been already refuted. Meaning that there are still loads of people who are not all that knowledgeable about the game and the info already available, so there are bound to be people with extremely high expectations, some of which are most likely already refuted or haven't been announced in the first place, which leads the masses to churn out rumours that inevitably keep the hype alive..Good for pre-order numbers, but it also means higher expectations, so some people will most likely be very disappointed, me probably being one of them, since I tend to get my hopes up.

But here's hoping Skyrim will actually exceed those expectations, I know Bethesda can do it, so lets hope they do.. :thumbsup:

Also when an element is being described by word of mouth rather than visual presentation, the interested party can in their own mind inflate the significance of what's being described, again supporting the idea the we ourselves can over-hype the game. The message the developers try to convey in that case would be accurate but misunderstood, it's bound to happen with talk of a whole new or improved systems implemented. Also I'm not sure these game developers are intentionally misleading, they too have wide imaginations and plans that sometimes are just too big for current technology. Perhaps they would be better served admitting unattainable plans long before the game goes into circulation.