Is Skyrim over-hyped??

harowan

Yeah, I do think Skyrim is being a bit overhyped, but come on, it's Skyrim. It's been 5 years since Bethesda has released a new Elder Scrolls, whereas, there is a new Call of duty out almost every year. So I can understand why it's so hyped and highly anticipated. I myself cannot wait until it comes out! From what I've seen of the E3 footage, it looks amazing. 10x more realistic than Oblivion!

The natural movements of the character, like transferring from running to walking, and vice versa. It looks realistic, as opposed to oblivion, where 3rd person movement looked jerky and unnatural. I'm just trying to go off what I see and half of what Bethesda is promising, that they haven't shown gameplay for. They whole 300+ hrs of gameplay sounds a little exaggerated, but who knows. All you can do is expect the worst and hope for the best. Knowing Bethesda, we'll probably get the best, lol!

The whole thing about people wanting to ride the dragons is crazy. In my opinion, being able to ride dragons in a world as detailed as skyrim would take me out of the immersion. I also think it would make the game too easy. Skyrim seems like a world that you would need to explore on foot or on horse because its so detailed. It would be fun to have the option of riding dragons, but it just seems unnecessary.

The only thing I hope that is in the game that they haven't confirmed is werewolves. They had vampires in Oblivion, and werewolves in Morrowind. So why not in Skyrim? According the the lore, werewolves started out in Skyrim, right?

Ultimately, all we can do is wait untill the game actually comes out to play it ourselves. I'm sure Skyrim will be one helluva ride!

The mark of a superb game is to challenge our notions of what was done before, and not in a way that kills the gameplay - ala if it ain't broke, leave it the f**k alone. So the question is, go with more of the same with tweaks to make it better? or vastly redraw the blueprints? Voice acting, NPC movement, sword swings, all these make the game that much more polished and immersion-ready if they're done right. But you guys are right - when the hype takes over, we'll get served with a product that either meets, falls below or blows away our preconceived notions of what we think is coming, versus what came before.

I guess what I'm saying is, Bethesda knows there's a core of us who like it the way it is, subject to minor modification - which begs the question, are they even really hyping it up?

I suppose it would be interesting to hear the programmers being interviewed versus marketing execs doing their whole spiel. Then we can get real answers.