Making another heir

Lehcar

How come it wasn't an option for females PC's to get romantically (or at least "intimately") involved with Martin so they could have a kid and the empire would have another heir?! Then the empire wouldn't have been left heirless at the end and all really could have been saved!

...Or could it? Martin was forced to smash the Amulet of Kings to invoke the avatar of Akatosh.. so would having another heir have made any difference? :(

My thought is that the Amulet was primarily used to light the Dragon Fires in order to keep the Oblivion Gates closed. While it had other purposes (it was a special type of soul gem) these other purposes were not specifically critical to an individual being Emperor.

The Amulet was a tool for the Emperor and since only he could use or wear it (supposedly - Mankar Camoran wore it), it became a "token" as a sign of royalty (those with Dragon Blood).

Once Martin destroyed the Amulet and permanently closed the Gates, the Amulet was no longer a necessary item for the Emperor in order to maintain defense against the forces of Oblivion. The loss of the Amulet would not have prevented another heir from assuming the throne in my mind, a new "token" could have been made and recognized as a sign of royalty with no real issue associated with doing this.

Of course, there is the issue that Martin was illegitimate and unless he married someone of proper bloodline, any child from a tryst would also be illegitimate. That royal blood would be getting pretty thin - but any heir would be better than no heir considering the issues that remain in the game.

Its kind of an issue with me as Martin's sacrifice doesn't resolve the problems of the Empire - and sort of compounds them. The main quest leaves the game unfinished with no possible ending other than never ending turmoil. The provinces are in disagreement and some want to separate and the Council never identifies a leader. I hate being left hanging with no real ending.

• 2 weeks later...

#1 Elder Scrolls game have never made romance a plot point of a story. That is Bioware's job it seems nowadays.

#2 I doubt Todd Howard wanted to tell Sean Bean (Actor who voiced Martin) that he needed to record extra dialogue for falling in love with a female Orc or something.

#3 The game never really ends you can keep playing forever after the main quest so what are you just going to run around fighting bandits and liches while pregnant? What happens after 9 in game months?

#4 Having the Septims die out set the stage for the 200 years of events leading up to Skyrim.

Edit: I agree with ffa1mf. The only thing we know about what happened after Martin died was in the book the Infernal City but I don't think that is considered canon though a may be wrong.

Edited by NAPALM13092

The only issue I had with the books was the Mages Guild going down the toilet. Biggest "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" ever, I adore the Mages Guild. :(

But on the subject, I wasn't thinking about anything that complicated, really... 'twas just a thought they could use time skipping or something if that is even possible but IDK. And with the voice acting, if all else fails make it so only female humans and elves could do it? Eh, I'm not sure. I just thought it would have been neat.

Edited by Lehcar

No I agree the more options the better. I have always been a fan of non linear storylines like the Witcher with lot's of different outcomes. I'm just a downer and always think about the logistical end of it.

• 2 months later...

I so f-ing wish.

Ahem, anyway, I imagine they essentially needed the Septim dynasty to collapse to continue on with the lore that leads to the events of Skyrim. And it could get complicated if your character isn't a noble or an Imperial, and would therefore be diluting the royal blood even more than it already was.

Also, male characters would be kind of SOL in the whole providing an heir department.