Mods aren't working

parky1995

I've downloaded multiple mods, but none of them are showing up. (No chest containing items or Armour at foot of statue in Market district, no Pegasus) I tried manually putting the files into data in Oblivion, I've tried using mod manager, I am activating them in the Data Files in the game launcher, I have moved the game from Program Files to documents/my games/oblivion, I've uninstalled and re installed the game twice. I really don't know what I am doing wrong and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is your game properly patched to version 1.2.0416? Game versions pre 1.2 will just silently ignore any plugin created in the 1.2 CS, which nowadays are almost all there are. There will be no errors, no warnings, no nothing. It will just be as if the file wasn't there to begin with.

The \My Documents directory is covered by Windows UAC so if you're on Vista or 7 you didn't sidestep it.

I tried downloading the patch but I get a message saying "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

How do I find this Old File of which it speaks?

And I re installed the game to C:// Games/ Oblivion, so I don't think its the UAC

Thanks a ton.

Your game version should be on the main menu screen of Oblivion, or you can access by opening readme.txt in your \Oblivion folder. If your game is already patched to the latest version 1.2.0416 (GOTY Edition) then it won't allow you to apply the patch. You should only need to activate plugins via OBMM or Wrye Bash. After activating them there, opening the Data Files option from the game launcher (that runs when you plug the disc into your drive) will mess up your load order and could cause issues. Additionally, make sure you run the Archive Invalidation utility found in either Wrye Bash or OBMM and choose "Redirection". You only have to do Archive Redirection once and this solves an issue that can cause problems with textures added or changed via mods. Edited by MShoap13

Possible reasons for the patch finding a wrong file version:

(1) Wrong patch being applied - trying to use the Oblivion (US) patch on the Oblivion (UK) game, or the Shivering Isles patch on a game where you have already run the Oblivion (UK/US) patch.

(2) Steam version - it should be autopatched - however the problem with user account Control still applies.

(3) Direct2Drive or Impulse versions - they should autopatch like Steam, but any OBSE-based mods will NEVER work as the exe files are encrypted.

(4) No-CD cracks or other "unofficial source" versions of the game - if you have one of those, then tough.

I agree with the post above.

The most likely reason for the problem is that you are trying to patch the basegame with a patch file for the Shivering Isles.