Far Harbor - Thoughts

jjb54

@CyrusAmell

Yeah, it's not all that hard to whip up a concrete cube, and basically that's what I've been doing ever since Wasteland Workshop too. Still got to assign the supply routes and/or scavenge for the materials, though, but yeah, that's the basic idea. If ugly concrete cubes were good enough for Stalin, they're good enough for me, I say :wink:

But, you know, it's the thought that matters. In this case, the thought being, "<bleep!> them and the Giddyup Buttercup they rode in on!" :wink: *ahem* I mean, it went from being a pretty clear optional part (just ignore Preston if you don't feel like building) to even helping little girls resulting in being given a few more settlers to build for. Without any warning or anything. Except, I guess, already knowing which quests those are, if you've already played it once.

Besides, even then, how about a middle ground? I feel like my choices are either telling a little girl who just lost her mom that I don't give a screw if she too lives or dies, or ending up just given a few more useless idiots to care for. Or either I tell an old lady I don't give a flip about the death of her family, or I end up caring for even more idiots.

How about some middle ground, like, sure, I'll clear the place for you, but I don't want it and I don't care who moves there, if anyone at all? If they want to live there, well, they'll have to bring their own beds.

I swear, next time something like that happens, I'm sending Nick to wait at Longfellow' cabin, and just shoot the idiots. If they decide to just force the responsibility of their own survival upon some random stranger who did some old lady they know a good turn once, well, they shouldn't be surprised if that random stranger happens to be a psycho :tongue:

I'm doing it again with Nick this time, 'cause it turns out there's actually dialogue involving him. (Hey, I wanted to see what Ol' Longfellow had to say the first time around. New companion and all.) And... Atom frikken dammit... the mandatory settlements get on my nerves majorly when I have to do them AGAIN. I swear these guys are lucky Nick's around. If I were with Ada... lets just say I was very tempted to just shoot them and call it a day. As it is, I just sent them to the co-op which still had plenty of beds and food.

Mind you, it's the only real complaint, but it's getting on my nerves that people are just "hey, here's two of my friends for you to take care of and do all the building for!" How about asking first, for Atom's sake? You don't just GIVE even a cat to some random stranger, much less people.

I suppose at least the plots ARE very large, though, if you're still into building settlements, so there's that.

and

@Ithlia

You might want to look into the night vision goggles mod. Or the contact lenses. I have it hot-keyed by now to switch between NV gear and something else, depending on lighting, and it makes life a LOT easier. By the sound of it, I'm not the only one who needs those.

Agreed. I wasn't interested in building more settlements, there are more than enough on the mainland. I purposely didn't build beds or anything else because I thought that would keep settlers from spawning.. but nope.. they just moved in anyway.

and thank you for the night vision goggles tip, I will see about those.

about settlements. yes it was a pain to stop tracking down all those quests and set up some settlements but I have been seeing messages like greygarden successfully defended itself. I think the DLC may have included some tweaking of the settlement defence system

Not for me. On one occasion I got a few hours "sleep" at Dalton's Farm and when I woke up

1) Help defend Echo Lake Lumber !

2) Help defend Covenant !

3) Help defend Greentop Nursery !

In rapid fire succession.

It's one thing to defend settlements in Far Harbour but another to make a 2 stage journey to Greentop only to find that my 15 settlers in full combat armour and armed with laser rifles are being attacked by......a couple of Stingwings :confused:

OH, that so irritated me in no small way, that and when they were attacked by a those pesky flies. I went, WFT? R U kidding me?? You called me all the way here for that? I wanted to nuke the whole lot of those wusses.

Much like most of Fallout, I'm pretty lukewarm to it. I can't quite put my finger on just one thing about it and say, "yeah that's it. That's what turns me off this game." Really, it's a lot of little things, and some bigger ones that gather together to suck a lot of the fun out of the game...a lot of what has made Fallout, Fallout.

Don't get me wrong, it still has it's moments, but they don't quite come along as often as I wish they would. Something seems to be missing, which was present in previous titles...including the hated (by some) FO3.

As stated, FO-4 was seriously losing me. It was not very interesting to explore, and the quests were boring (with a few exceptions) .....

I think with FO-3 and NV ... 1 of the big things were, the sandbox was not boring. There was a lot of neat areas to explore and discover. NOT so much with FO-4. It is flat and boring.

Far Harbor at least, IMHO - offered more in the sandbox, a whole lot more! The quests actually make sense and what I like about them, is there IS a lot more background story there. The characters have more depth and such.