CM Companions editing help.

Tarm

Greetings.

What I'd like to do is change class, skills, attributes, spells and so forth of various companions. I really like the look of some companions but not so much their class.

Things I already have managed to do is change walk animation and give voice to companions without it in TES Construction Set with varied success. For example I have changed walk animation and voice to standard for the companion Sallah without any problem. But when I try the same thing with the companion Hillary all sorts of problems start like the companion getting invisible or crashing the game when entering the cell. My guess is it have to do with race dependencies or something.

Two things that really annoy me with companions are that mage classes always seem to conjure up monsters that get in the way and various classes conjure up armour that replace the armour I've given them. Sometimes it's nice to have companions running around naked except a freaky helmet but I gave them an armour to wear because I'd rather have them wear that. :P

So if someone could give me a step by step guide how to change a companion I would be very grateful. :)

Regards

Tarm

Tarm,

I would also like some help in changing CM companions. How did you give a companion a voice?

I have downloaded DesuChan's CM Apprentices and they do not actually talk, and I would like them to do so. Can you tell me where you went in the CS to do that?

Starbrow

Tarm,

I would also like some help in changing CM companions. How did you give a companion a voice?

I have downloaded DesuChan's CM Apprentices and they do not actually talk, and I would like them to do so. Can you tell me where you went in the CS to do that?

Starbrow

Before you try this be aware that I really don't know what I'm doing and have occasionally messed up companions and the stability of Oblivion. That is try it on your own risk. :)

As far as I know the reason some companions don't have a voice is because they don't have the default voice. So this is how I change it.

1. Load a companion file in TES Construction Set. Set it to active so you can change it.

2. I usually get a lot of error messages so I just press Abort. Companion files can depend on other files which I ignore. Probably why I mess up sometimes. :P

3. Go to Character and click the race of the companion. Change the voice to High Elf.

4. Save and close the program.

And now all you experienced modders know why I asked for help. :P

Tarm,

Thanks.

I tried that (didn't know that voice was located there), and got the Imperial voice to work for the humans and the High Elven voice to work for the elves, but then lost their hair and eyes, Haha!

It's DesuChan's Dolls that I am trying to add voices to.

Unless someone else has a piece of advice, I guess I have two mute companions! :)

I hope someone comes to your rescue on your question. Thanks for trying to help me with mine.

Starbrow

Yeah. I get that sometimes too. Since I think it's because the companion is linked to and need other files, for example the race if a separate file, than just the companion file and me editing the way I do breaks that link, I have tried loading all the files I think is linked to it but haven't got that to work either. Maybe you have better luck with the CS. :)

Oh hai.

There are a couple of ways you could go about doing this, depending on whether or not you want to preserve the custom battle voices I added for a playable character, or you don't use the race to play and instead only use it for the companions:

[ Preserve Custom Battle Voice ]

1. BACK STUFF UP IN CASE STUFF GOES WRONG! Then make a copy of the esp for my Dolls race and rename it slightly so you can differentiate between the two. Now, obviously you've made your companions based on the original copy of the plugin file, so if you want to create a playable character that has the custom battle voice, you'd have THAT character reference the new plugin instead, so nothing breaks.

2. Load the copied plugin you made in the Construction Set. When it's all open, go to the Races section and click on my races.

3. Go to the description tab and add something like [ORIGINAL VERSION] before the description I put in. This is so that when you look for the race in-game, you can tell the difference. Do this for both variations (Normal and Elven).

4. Save, close, then reopen the Construction Set. This time, load the original esp file. Again, go to the Races section.

5. Simply change the Female Voice to a pre-existing Vanilla set (Imperial, High Elf, Nord or Redguard- NOT any of the others, as they in turn reference the aforementioned sets). Do this for whichever race version your companions are.

6. Save, close the CS and fire the game up. If you did everything right, your companions will now be able to use the Vanilla sound set you chose. If not, start over.

[ Just Using the Race for Companions ]

1. Open the Construction Set. Load the original esp file. Go to the Races section.

2. Change the Female Voice to a pre-existing Vanilla set. Again, do this for whichever race version your companions are.

3. Save, close, yadda yadda yadda.

If you do all that and it STILL doesn't work, chuck me a PM and I'll see what I can do.