CM Companions editing help.

Tarm

Well my main question is really several questions. Basically how to change a CM Companions class, spells and so on.

But the one related to the question you asked is how to change companion animations safely. Walking, running, idle etc.

Since I have done that without any problem on a lot of companions I have a suspicion that when it doesn't work it's because I also tried to give the companion a voice at the same time. And now you've taught me I've been doing that wrong. :)

Changing spells isn't that difficult, the trouble is that you will have to restart or make a clean save for it to take effect, as spells they have learned are saved in your savegame.

What I did to reduce CTD's (which happens when you accidentally try to access inventory of someone with a bound weapon) is first make copies of the leveled lists the companions use. Then I removed LL1ConjurationAllLvL100 (or something like that) from the new lists, and instead added smaller lists of just the summons. You can opt to leave those out as well if you don't like them. Then open the companion, go to the SpellList tab, remove their leveled spells and replace them with your new lists.

Class can be selected on the stats tab (first tab when you open the character). I'm not sure how much difference it actually makes for behaviour. You can make new classes by duplicating one, renaming it and editing the stats. They're under the character menu.

To use a custom race for a CM, I do the following:

-Copy the race and put CMRace in front of the ID, into the new CM file.

-Remove all references to hair and eyes from the new CMrace, except vanilla ones. Want to make sure it doesn't use anything from the original race file.

-Copy the hair and eyes I want to use for the CM, putting CMHair/CMEyes in front of the ID for easy identification.

-Drag those into the new race and it's ready to use, with no dependency on the original race.

Also, when loading a CM file, also load CMPartners.esp at least. If the file depends on a race mod, try loading it as well. Like I said, I try to make mine not rely on separate race mods to make the file easier to maintain. But having the required masters loaded will greatly reduce errors and warnings. However, if one of those masters is an esp, that link will break when you save the file. You'll have to add the file as a master again using Wrye Bash.

I CAN :D Help there, I mean. You can assign animations like idles, fighting animations etc to every single companion. It's actually rather easy.

First thing you need to do is the following: Find the animation .kf files you want, and copy paste them to a save place. If you want to make a companion use DMC for example and don't want every other character in the game to use it, copy paste all DMC stylish animations to a save folder. Now rename them. Yes, every single one. It's tedious, but you will see why.

Important: only the last part of the name can be changed. Example: twohandidle.kf can be renamed into twohandidle_companionname.kf Or if you want to use an idle, rename it to idle_companionname.kf. See the pattern? :D

The first part of the name has to stay the same, otherwise the construction set will ignore the kf.

Once you have renamed all the animation files (there will be a LOT of them), copy paste them into this folder:

meshes -> characters -> _male -> specialanims.

There will be a lot of other animation files already in there, that's one of the reason we renamed our files. Once all the animation files are in there, open the CS and load the companion's esp.

Now go to the object window and to actors ->NPCs. Find your companion in the huge NPC list. If it is a custom race, it should be easy to find.

Once you found your companion, double click it to open the NPC window. Go to the ANIMATIONS tab. It might take a second to load, don't freek out XD To be save, you can check the "full view" box under the preview window.

Now look at the long list of animations. The ones checked red are the vanilla ones, ignore them. Now find your animations in the list. They should be easy to spot, since you renamed them. That is reason number 2 for the namechange.

Check every single animation by ticking the box. Don't worry if the preview window gets stuck, it happens.

Once every custom animation is checked, SAVE.

DONE.

Now load the game (there is NO need for a clean save for this companion since animations work immedately) and your companion should use the custom animations :)

It takes some time, but once it's done, it should be bug free and easyto handle. If you don't like all the animations the companion uses, just uncheck them the same way you activated them.

It does work with any companion, not just the CM based ones. I have so many companions and they all have custom animations, depending on their weapon or class XD I am a freak like that.

Edited by chakaru11

Whoa!

That's a lot of information. It will take me a while to test all this but I will!

Oblivion will now be a whole lot more fun to play. Many many thanks to all of you that have answered my questions. :)