Problem on Win7 Ultimate

dwellufool

I've been trying to change the ".ini" (Oblivion_default on Win7) for a while. I run into a problem, though.

When I try to save the changes I've made in the file, it says "Oblivion_default.ini already exists, would you like to replace it?"

I click yes, and it says "Access denied." and that's the end of it.... however, I am the administrator.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem with Win7, I think I ran into something similar on Vista and had to take down the program that makes you enter the Admin password when trying to do something significant, or in the Admin's case the thing that says "So and so is trying to do something or other, Continue?"

I also remember getting a hard-drive crashing problem I couldn't solve shortly after, which required me to re-install my OS.

If anyone has info on how to solve this, let me know.

I'm using http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ini_Settings as a guide, and already have a standard .ini file backed up in case I have an issue.

Thanks, if I need to elaborate on something please let me know. I'm trying to get Oblivion looking and working the best I can. x.x

Edited by dwellufool

Why are you altering the Oblivion_default.ini? You should make user changes to the main Oblivion.ini in your "My Documents/Games/Oblivion" folder.

Also, you are obviously having problems with User Account Control (UAC) - you need to move your copy of Oblivion to C:\Games\Oblivion (NOT repeat NOT "My Games/Oblivion")

Generic cut'n'paste setup advice with links follows

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Hi,

First of all, Mark is absolutly right. But if you still want to edit the default.ini here is how to do it:

- drag it out of the ProgramFiles folder to the Desktop (or somewhere else) make your changes and save it.

- move it back to the original location

The UAC will ask you to confirm each time but it should work .

Any changes to the Oblivion_default.ini will be permanent and can only be reversed by either re-editing it or reinstalling the game. Instead, it is best practice to edit the Oblivion.ini - it is located in the same folder as your saved games and NOT in the Oblivion game folder. Any changes to the Oblivion.ini can easily be reversed by just deleting it and allowing the game to rebuild it the next time you start. It uses the default.ini as the template and modifies it based on the hardware it finds to create a new Oblivion.ini.

The Oblivion.ini, and NOT the Oblivion_default.ini is what the game uses when starting up after the first time. When Oblivion starts up. it looks for the Oblivion.ini, and if it does not find it, it runs a routine to create it - that is the only time the default is used.

If you still want to edit the default, Be sure to make a copy of the original somewhere first - that could save you the time and aggravation of a full reinstall.

It is also a good idea to make a copy of the Oblivion.ini after you have edited it and have it working the way you want - in case you do have to reinstall for some reason. :thumbsup:

Why are you altering the Oblivion_default.ini? You should make user changes to the main Oblivion.ini in your "My Documents/Games/Oblivion" folder.

Also, you are obviously having problems with User Account Control (UAC) - you need to move your copy of Oblivion to C:\Games\Oblivion (NOT repeat NOT "My Games/Oblivion")

Generic cut'n'paste setup advice with links follows

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

Thanks for helping me with that. Didn't cross my mind there'd be another .ini file, but then again I didn't real thoroughly on the page I linked.