Optimizing oblivion while keeping it pretty

deathjam

Basically vanilla oblivion runs extremely smooth for me outdoors. If I recall, I was getting fps of 30-60 plus. Above 30 is very nice IMO.

Im not bragging but wondering if I should use this as a baseline for the max fps I can obtain from my oblivion and expect fps to drop as I add mods such as QTP3 and RAEVWD with it never to return as what has seemed to happen.

It may seem like an obvious answer but I have seen videos in the mod detectives thread, of people with these mods and more graphical mods implemented such as OBGE, (I have it installed but the effects aren't on as I'm having trouble activating them properly) with healthy frame rates and I'm thinking my current rig setup should be able to manage as well.

Interiors I can get my old fps back but exteriors can vary wildly with myself losing most frames when viewing IC from a distance. Basically I want to know if the specs below should be able to handle a heavily graphical modded oblivion or I should cut my losses and start making concessions like turning off RAEVWD.

Specs:

Q6600 core 2 quad 2.4ghz

4gb ddr2 ram

Ati hd radeon 5770

Native resolution of 1680 x 1050

A couple of points:

(1) CPU speed - Oblivion is originally a single core program. While a few ini file tweaks CAN help, you still can't beat a fast single core processor with a slow multi-core. Later games which use multicore processing are going to run better.

(2) OBGE v3 has one HECK of a performance hit with some shaders. It may get optimised more later, but currently it's more use for static "eye candy" shots than for gameing for some settings.

OverclockersUK have a forum which covers a "massively eye-candy" version os Oblivion and they're bringing top-notch gaming rigs to their knees with it. Yes, you may have to cut back your expectations.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

A couple of points:

(1) CPU speed - Oblivion is originally a single core program. While a few ini file tweaks CAN help, you still can't beat a fast single core processor with a slow multi-core. Later games which use multicore processing are going to run better.

(2) OBGE v3 has one HECK of a performance hit with some shaders. It may get optimised more later, but currently it's more use for static "eye candy" shots than for gameing for some settings.

OverclockersUK have a forum which covers a "massively eye-candy" version os Oblivion and they're bringing top-notch gaming rigs to their knees with it. Yes, you may have to cut back your expectations.

Thanks very much for the advice. Turned off RAEVWD gaining back lots of fps, and used the OBGE shaders gaining the graphical effects i wanted most. Also the overclockers website additionaly gave a very good instruction on beautifying oblivion but also using BAIN to have a structured and clear loading order. This actually helped me to learn how to better use BAIN's other features that aren't immediately obvious.

Taken from Building oblivion @ Overclockers.uk

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/835/installorder.png