Going Through Hell

MagicalWingLT

Ok time for a rant and rave topic... Why? Because me and my fiancee are going through hell trying to get this game to work properly on the PC... With this much trouble we should of bought the X Box version.... Why didn't we then? Well cuz we wanted custom mod characters and all that cool stuff... OK here's the whole story....

Once we got the game, the install was fine.... Or so we thought... When you get to the main menu screen the screen keeps flickering.... I dought it should be doing that.... The main game seems to be fine... Here's where the real troube starts... We wanted to use our Xbox 360 Windows 7 controller... It didn't work period.... We even did the configureations and still nothing!.... It took us 3 days to get the controller working... How? We had to install Xpadder in order for it to work... We had to match the keyboard keys and mouse to the Controller buttons, D Pad, Sticks, and the triggers.... Ok so here I'm thinking everything's fine now we can start Modding! Oh goodie!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!! Now here's where we go through hell trying to get these mods to work! We installed the unoffical pach, and the KT Custom Fix pach... And we even installed the Thief pach and it was all working... It extracted perfectly.... But when we tried installing the Ren's Beauty Pach it didn't work period!... We even tried doing it manually and still nothing.... Then I found out that the install from planetelderscrolls.com isn't a working file.... Um ok.... So I downloaded the one from Nexus instead... Here's when winrar decided to give problems.... Tried extracting it to the Data Folder and it said that there were no files to extract.... It then did the samething to the AinmhReworked Mod that I tried installing too...

Then I thought maybe we did something wrong so we deleted the Data Folder and started over again... Guess what? when we tried to extract everything back again it wouldn't work! Winrar keeps saying No Files To Extract.... How is this possible? When we try extracting it to the Desktop it's fine... :( Then we tried using the 7 zip program, and that doesn't work either...

All I want to do is play this game with a custom character mod.... It shouldn't be this much trouble to do so... I heard great things about this game from my fiancee and from other people and wanted to give this game a try... And I can't even do that with all the problems we been having with this... Is it because we are on Windows 7?

If anyone can help us I'd be most thankful!

Edited by MagicalWingLT

Hi there- I don't know how much I am going to be able to help you, but I can at least help you give others a less (confusing?) explanation... Please don't take me wrong, but there are a couple of things I did not find very clear... Lets see:

And we even installed the Thief pach and it was all working...
when we tried installing the Ren's Beauty Pach it didn't work

Thief Pach? Is this the official DLC Thieves Den Patch or some other patch?

Rens Beauty-Patch or Pack?

Here's when winrar decided to give problems....

When we try extracting it to the Desktop it's fine... :( Then we tried using the 7 zip program, and that doesn't work either...

It's really weird that sevenZip is not working for you guys. Did you try compressing/extracting OTHER files completely unrelated to the game just to see if it works well? What about Moving the already extracted files from the desktop onto the Data Folder? Maybe your problem is not Oblivion itself but some Windows Settings.

Which reminds me, do you have UAC (user account control) ON? this will guarantee hell for you.

And also I feel I need to ask, are you using any of the following: OblivionModManager / WryeBash / BOSS ?

Have you installed OBSE? Many mods are useless without this.

maybe we did something wrong so we deleted the Data Folder and started over again.

Starting Over means Reinstalling? Reinstalling Oblivion is no joke. You need to clear the Registry manually.

And it IS a great game. Nobody lied to you. Yet modding Oblivion should be done slowly and carefully. I hope you fix this!

8)

Edited by Candex

Yeah sorry about that.... I meant to say the Thief Mod, and Ren's Beauty Pack Mod.... The one worked but Ren's Beauty Pack didn't... I then found out that the Ren's Beauty pack on Planet Elder Scrolls doesn't work right cuz there are some missing files... So I downloaded a version from Nexus... But winrar started acting up... One minute it was working fine when extracting stuff to the data folder and then the next minute it wasn't.... Now it's saying No Files Found... Yet when I extract the files to my Desktop it works fine....

And also I feel I need to ask, are you using any of the following: OblivionModManager / WryeBash / BOSS ?

Have you installed OBSE? Many mods are useless without this.

I have the unoffical Oblivion Patch Version 3 installed and the KT Custom Fix Installed... I need other programs too?

Edited by MagicalWingLT

Firstly - if you are on Windows 7, you could be having sporadic UAC (User Account Control) problems - things apparently unarchiving but vanishing sounds typical. Use Bben46's guide HERE to uninstall Oblivion abnd reinstall it at C:\Games\Oblivion (NOT repeat NOT "My Games/Oblivion"). You may find 99% of the problems vanish.

Generic cut'n'paste follows:

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

I don't believe this crap! I managed to get the Ren Beauty Pack working after I had to watch a video for the installation! Most Mods require you to extract them to the Data Folder and it automatically puts the files in the proper folders... But Noooo not the Ren Beauty Pack you have to do it manually which is really insane! Yes I got damn mod working but when I tried putting the Ainmhi Race on it half works! All I want is a custom Ainmhi Race + Ren Beauty Pack for my character... It shouldn't be this hard to do... I read the Read Me Files for everything... Did what I was suppose to do and now everything is messed up...

Now I deleted the data folder and copied the one from my desktop so I can start over.... Guess what? The Ren Beauty Pack isn't working right.... Doesn't have the hair pieces.... And I did the same instructions as before...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=6649

Now I deleted the data folder and copied the one from my desktop so I can start over.... Guess what? The Ren Beauty Pack isn't working right.... Doesn't have the hair pieces.... And I did the same instructions as before...

Did you read my reply and Mark's? Did you turn UAC OFF?

Do you have ALL patches Installed as Mark said?

Are you running ANY OTHER MODS?

Did you reinstall the game?

If you didn't, did you at least make sure you Reverted to Vanilla?

IF you did a reinstall of the game, did you follow Bben's Instructions?

Finally, did you search for help in the Ainimhi Official Thread?

Venting sure does you good, but I'm sorry, If you don't give us any feedback then it will be really hard for anyone to help you.

I hope you understand. I don't mean to be rude.

And Final edit, I just found someone else that may be experiencing your WinRar/ 7zip issue. Here. Are you also running Windows 64bit?

Edited by Candex