Which would run Oblivion faster?

spiritshadowx

Which one of my PC's would run Oblivion the best? Neither will run it the best i don't think, but hey ho.

Computer 1 (Desktop)

OS - Windows XP Media Center Edition (professional) 32bit

CPU - AMD Athlon 64x2 (both cores 2009.0 MHz)

RAM - 1GB RAM (768MB free, rest partitioned for GC)

GC - Nvidia GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (Oldblivion)

Computer 2 (Laptop)

OS - Windows 7 home premium 64bit

CPU - Intel Celeron T3300 (both cores 1994.9 Mhz)

RAM - 3GB RAM

GC - Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (doesn't need Oldblivion)

At computer 2 the game runs at 7FPS (LOL), but i don't want to install the game on the other computer if it won't work better. All i need is about 10FPS to be happy (I just hate it when it misses keystrokes, not the actual lag itself. I used to play second life so i'm used to it) If anyone could give any help it would be appreciated, thank you.

Edited by spiritshadowx

Neither will give you a happy gaming experience as they stand, but... Yes, install it on computer #1, having read the following.

Computer 1 will need some extra RAM before it is going to run Oblivion happily - I recently bought 4GB of RAM for £36 so it's not a terribly expensive upgrade. I'd also suggest Googling for the Omega video drivers, they're optimised for ganing use and will help a little.

I assume the GC is integrated on Computer 1 - if so, try and find a second-hand separate card of similar or better spec (I personally favour nVidia but there's little difference), along with a separate sound card. Again, I recently bought a second-hand GeForce GT430 card for £48, and a cheap sound card should be under £20 brand new...

Finally, look at getting a faster processor - save for the fastest your motherboard will support. A fast single core will beat a slower dual core for Oblivion.

Then there's optimising the game to reduce the load on the system:

(1) Use PYFFI to optimise the meshes and it makes one heck of a performance change on a lower-end system.

(2) Run the "Quiet feet" mod to reduce processor load when in combat especially.

(3) Keep an eye open for any mod with phrases like "simplfied meshes" or "smaller textures" and try them out.

LOL and i run laptop 2 on medium quality, no wonder it is at 7 fps.

Dxdiag reports the DMC is integrated, but im not sure if that refers to the actual card. The whole computer is HUGE (wont fit under my desk) so i presume there should be a PCI (or whatever it's called, been a while) slot somewhere. RAM upgrade should be easy as i have enough money for that, and i think the CPU is already at it's max for the motherboard ( Acer EM61SM/EM61PM (Socket M2) ). Sound card is Realtek HD but i don't know if that needs to be swapped or not, otherwise this is gonna bankrupt me (I'm unemployed, damn jobs in my area have been sucked up while i'm in college).

Funny how even though both are crap, the older pc is theoretically better....

It's more that the Desktop PC is expandable. Laptops are very difficult to impossible to upgrade, while a PC upgrade can be done bit by bit.

The motherboard will take at least an AMD Anthlon 5000+ (2.6GHz per core) as there's a forum post from a guy running one IN that board as supplied by the PC maker.

Pick the fastest memory which the motherboard can take when upgrading - that will ensure that no matter which processor you manage to upgrade to, you'll be able to handle it. Crucial list THIS page for memory upgrades for a system based on that motherboard, so you should be able to upgrade it to 4GB eventually (XP32 will show about 3.2 GB maximum anyway as a 32 bit OS can't address more than that). Buy the DDR2 PC2-8500 memory as that's the fastest - get 2GB to replace what you have (you MAY be lucky and find it'll work alongside the existing memory but you won't get the full speed advantage until ALL of the memory is DDR2 PC2-8500)

If the soundcard is already a separate one, stick with it - that'll be fine. If not, start saving to replace it eventually.