.DDS files not working

spiderpigy

I just installed Nousers Kaleen race and i had it all working perfectly, with no glitches.

I got curious as to what all the file type extensions were so (being the noob i am :P ) i tried to open up a .DDS file with word.

Word asked for me to specify the coding that will make it readable, but i just clicked windows default.

I then got bored looking at the mess of weird symbols and decided to start playing again.

When i was playing all the hairs for the Kaleen did not appear at all, so i checked that i hadn't accidentaly deleted any files and i noticed that all the .DDS files had Word symbols before them, rather than the blank page symbols before i had used word.

I'm a totally noob to all this and i might be wrong, but it seems that opening them up with word made them unreadable.

Can anyone please help me find a solution for this problem which i so easily caused! :wallbash:

Edited by spiderpigy

Opening with word may well break files IF you make the mistake of saving them instead of quitting. If so, you need to re-download the mods and reinstall them.

As for sorting out the link to Word, your best bet is to download paint.NET (it's a free program), and then right click a .dds file you HAVEN'T opened in Word, select "Open With..." and choose Paint.NET, then CLOSE it don't SAVE it. That will, at least, stop you ruining any more .dds files accidentally.

But you probably can't repair the broken ones, they will have probably been chopped short at the first ASCII character 26 in the file (which is used by Word as an "end of file" marker.

Thanks for replying MarkinMKUK. I changed the default program for DDS to paint.net and reinstalled the mod, but the hair textures still did not work. But for some reason AlexanderW's wings mod works, which uses DDS files. Im not sure why it works for the wing mod and not the Kaleen. Any ideas pretty please? :P Edited by spiderpigy