ARENA and Daggerfall - Thoughts

LeopoldCrank

Do people only dislike ARENA and Daggerfall because of the graphics, or do you think it is more to do with the vast array of bugs and the over-reliance on randomly generated content? Because hardly anyone has played them, but heaps have played both Morrowind and Oblivion. The other thing that prompted me to say this was because people still play Morrowind, and it has become quite bad graphics-wise without mods.

I played them both when they came out and grew weary of both of them fairly soon. At least on Arena, and as I recall Daggerfall as well, there was a large world but only a few dungeon models. For me, the graphics were fine, but after playing a while I could recognize the dungeon model almost as soon as I entered and think "ok, this one is down, left, left, right - the boss will the there - and back." Trudge half way across the world and step into the same dungeon caused me to loose immersion pretty quick. I don't recall finishing either of the first two. Of course that was about 17 years ago, and my memory may be off.

Anyway, for me, the series got a lot more interesting with Morrowind. And made a great leap with the modding community stepping in.

I loved Daggerfall, I could have done without the bugs, mind! And those never-ending dungeons. Otherwise though, I loved it. I look back on it fondly, but it's kind of like an ex who was a great person, time got in the way and you drifted apart, though. Still great, and you think about them now and then, but that's it.

I miss the richness of the lore, or maybe I just see it as such because until then I'd never played anything so engrossing.

I personally preferred Daggerfall to Oblivion and Morrowind; mainly because the use of precedural generation allowed the game to be so massive, if i could id use procedural generation with Skyrim's engine (combine that with Radiant AI and Radiant Story and it might make a very interesting game); to bad that would never happen.

I bought Arena back in 1995. I thought it was okay at the time. But I did not get too far into it. Boy, when I look back...it sure was sucky graphicswise! I skipped Daggerfall, but bought Morrowind in 2004, Oblivion in 2006, Fallout3 in February 2011, and will be at the store buying SKyrim on Triple Elevensies.

Do people only dislike ARENA and Daggerfall because of the graphics, or do you think it is more to do with the vast array of bugs and the over-reliance on randomly generated content? Because hardly anyone has played them, but heaps have played both Morrowind and Oblivion. The other thing that prompted me to say this was because people still play Morrowind, and it has become quite bad graphics-wise without mods.

i don't dislike any of the elder scrolls games...except i havent played arena and daggerfall. And why should, i it was a breakthrough in graphics at that time. You would think probably the same then...but enough of that :hurr:

Never played Arena or Daggefall, but i loved Morrowind...now reading this thread made me really want to reinstall it...even looked youtube vids about it...sheesh :biggrin:

Thats how I get, every few years. I just want to play some Morrowind, so I reinstall it, and DL an S-load of new mods I hadn't tried before, plus a lot of my old favorites.

• 1 year later...
I loved Daggerfall. Morrowind was a disappointment for me. Because I just expected a "Daggerfall II" then. But later I got to appreciate it. Though Morrowind felt quite depressing most of the time. Since Daggerfall, the game that I like the most is Skyrim. Edited by melkormgc