ARENA and Daggerfall - Thoughts

LeopoldCrank

Old games need a lot of investments because of bad interfaces, graphics and sometime gameplay, yet a game like daggerfall is deeper, have a better story and a better roleplay experience than Oblivion, skyrim or even morrowind.

But we live in a time most of players have ADD and can t read more than 3 lines of story or want to read a manual.

I liked what I played of Daggerfall.

Can't get out the starter dungeon. I've died 12 times (I counted!) to the second rat, 7 times to the first bat and 3 times to the first skeleton at the large staircase.

I rage-quit'd, and vehemently oppose the suggestion of playing Daggerfall. I don't want to crush my shattered ego into dust quite yet.

I´ve played Daggerfall. But it wasn´t easy since I started my TES career with Oblivion.

But even though it felt quite weird, it was fun to see how they were back in the day. :smile:

Think I were to stubborn to give up. Daggerfall was very different compared to what I was used to(don´t remember if I owned Skyrim during this time but I probably did). I came out of the starter dungeon, but it wasn´t easy. I were used to being able to obliterate everything in my path, but Daggerfall put a stop to that. I saw a ninja/thief(or perhaps it was a bandit), anyway, I jogged to the enemy and started attacking him, my attacks did not hit and he threw darts at me, finishing me off quickly. I reloaded my save(that was inside the cave so I could get out with more health) and fast traveled to a nearby village, hoping to start my quest.

The NPC interactions were much like Morrowind´s; you could ask them about anything, so I started asking people about the Dark Brotherhood, but with no success. In Daggerfall, you could climb walls, but that feature were quite buggy. I tried to climb a wall, but paused to figure out how to it. When suddenly a guard came limping towards me saying that I had been accused of lollygagging. They sent me to the court and I managed to get away with a fine(or perhaps hard labor). Some time after that I wanted to explore the world, which was too big. I walked for hours with that 8-bit soundtrack pumping from my speakers, but got nowhere, so I fast traveled yet again, but since I could not figure out where an Inn was where I were to meet someone important(the quest was timed too and that did not help at all).

After a while I gave up and never looked back, but not because I hated it, because I weren´t ready for it.

Still ain´t btw.

But it gave me a good reminder of what Bethesda is capable of when they want to. :biggrin:

And some good memories while at it.

Edited by Niborino9409