Acrobatics and Atheltics? WTF!

deama

Well, many of the skills were abusable in Oblivion. Sneaking in the room of the guy you kill to join the Dark Brotherhood. Running between towns spamming Heals/Detect Life/Illumination/Summoning Spells. A custom spell that did one point of fire damage you spammed. (Didn't they even have a tip or something regarding that?) I understand removing them, but it isn't like those skills were unique in the ability to abuse.

woo woo woo.. slow down .. dont give bethesda bad ideas >:I .. Theres nothing wrong with sneaking into rooms or practicing summon spells .. healing only leveled if you were damaged ..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo woo woo.. slow down .. dont give bethesda bad ideas >:I .. Theres nothing wrong with sneaking into rooms or practicing summon spells .. healing only leveled if you were damaged ..

Rufio (the entry Dark Brotherhood target) had some bizarre AI where he slept almost all day and you could go to his room, weigh down the key, go eat a sandwich, come back and find it at the 'You are at Journeyman/Expert/Master Sneaking!' screen. Maybe it wasn't healing, but I seem to remember some Restoration spell you could spam to rank up.

For me It's really hard to understand *why* they didn't just put acro and ath into a category that doesn't increase the player's level...

I see the benefit of not having the skills completely, since Bethesda will be less limited to creating dungeons; but I still despise the whole idea!

Yeah sure, if you reach like 100 acro your jump animation will be all screwed up, I don't care about that since I just play in first-person mod.

I like my limited sprinting to be in FPS titles, I don't mind them in RPG's as long as you can somehow become faster; and who's to say that the sprinting won't take up a percentage, that would make it even worse!

it really sucks that its gone and that makes the game kinda incomplete for me...but i think the modders will do their thing :turned:

My thought is that Ath and Acro and all the rest of the attributes should have been improved not removed. Ath and Acro should have been to act more like limitters to the skill sets. Lets say your run and jump have a max level. Choose Ath or Acro you get 100% of the max value. Without the Acro or Ath attributes you max out at 80% of the skill value. Much more realistic as not everyone can run and jump at the same height or speed. That is what they should have done. Unfortunately they took the easy cop out and threw out the attributes. This is not Fallout or any other game, so why clone from them? This is TES, based on a magical world where incredible feats of strength and magic should be and have been attainable. A world where the archmage can create the most fantastic spells imaginable. Oh, I forgot the Devs took that out too. Pity.

My thought is that Ath and Acro and all the rest of the attributes should have been improved not removed. Ath and Acro should have been to act more like limitters to the skill sets. Lets say your run and jump have a max level. Choose Ath or Acro you get 100% of the max value. Without the Acro or Ath attributes you max out at 80% of the skill value. Much more realistic as not everyone can run and jump at the same height or speed. That is what they should have done. Unfortunately they took the easy cop out and threw out the attributes. This is not Fallout or any other game, so why clone from them? This is TES, based on a magical world where incredible feats of strength and magic should be and have been attainable. A world where the archmage can create the most fantastic spells imaginable. Oh, I forgot the Devs took that out too. Pity.

As had been said many times before, the devs said that attributes were an arbitrary obstacle between the player and the skills. Todd himself said something along the lines of, "Everything boils down to Magicka, Health, or Stamina anyway." It wasn't an "easy cop out," it was part of a plan to take out the tedious nature of training skills to increase attributes and make it more fun and accessible.

Your suggestion would only complicate the mechanics unnecessarily, and is not worth the added "realism." There's a big difference between dumbing something down and making it more efficient. Fallout was a step in the right direction; why shouldn't they take cues from what they learned making that other award-winning game? From what I've seen, it still looks very much like the fantasy world we know and love from TES. But I digress: this is better discussed in the attributes/skills thread.

On the bright side, there's good news about Athletics and Acrobatics: many of their benefits have been shifted to the Stamina attribute! I think it was Camonna Tong who asked GStaff about it and confirmed it. And there's always the mod community if you really just want to play the way you envision it. Personally, I'd play it vanilla before I decided that taking out some things was such a travesty, though. We won't know for sure what was a good decision or not until we get to play it.

attributes were just stamina/health/magicka? Well some of them!

STR: increases damage and encumbrance, fatigue also: pretty useful to me.

INT: Increases magicka: yeah, sure, don't care about this stat too much.

WIS: increases magicka regen: I care about this stat more than INT.

AGI: decreases the chance to be staggered, and knocked out: useful for me.

SPD: increases movement speed: could be better but still useful for me.

END: increases health and fatigue, increases health regen when sleeping also: useful for me.

PST: makes people like your more: yes, this is a useless attribute, since there is a skill for it.

LCK: increases everything you do by a small amount: there were times when I didn't care about this stat and sometimes I did, doesn't matter if its removed or not.

So much for giving stamina/magicka/health, most of them do different things besides increasing the max st/m/h...

If they wanted to take out the tedious nature of training the attributes like in oblivion, why didn't they just simply change it to a point distribution system? Like daggerfall's.

Edited by deama

attributes were just stamina/health/magicka? Well some of them!

STR: increases damage and encumbrance, fatigue also: pretty useful to me.

INT: Increases magicka: yeah, sure, don't care about this stat too much.

WIS: increases magicka regen: I care about this stat more than INT.

AGI: decreases the chance to be staggered, and knocked out: useful for me.

SPD: increases movement speed: could be better but still useful for me.

END: increases health and fatigue, increases health regen when sleeping also: useful for me.

PST: makes people like your more: yes, this is a useless attribute, since there is a skill for it.

LCK: increases everything you do by a small amount: there were times when I didn't care about this stat and sometimes I did, doesn't matter if its removed or not.

So much for giving stamina/magicka/health, most of them do different things besides increasing the max st/m/h...

If they wanted to take out the tedious nature of training the attributes like in oblivion, why didn't they just simply change it to a point distribution system? Like daggerfall's.

Everything is still there. encumbrance, damage, speed, magicka regen, agility fatigue, health regen already announced. They still have all this stuff. Google it you won't be lied to.