Horse combat

ansuansuansu

Is there ANY way to get this working? I just want to shoot my bow on horseback. It shouldn't be too difficult since Ocarina of Time let me do it ***last century***.

I've tried the Mounted Combat mod but that only lets me cast spells on horseback, which is boring.

And everywhere I look tells me to try Deadly Reflex but horse combat is disabled in the latest versions (5 and 6) and doesn't let me fire my bow in version 4.

There must be some way to get it working?!?!?

As an aside, how the fudge did something as buggy and fundamentally broken as Deadly Reflex ever get to be the 2nd most downloaded Oblivion mod of all time?!

Deadly reflex does many things that the game was never designed to do, and does some of them fairly well. And others not so well - like horse combat. Because the game was not designed to do these things, it is not only difficult to force it to do them, but often they can cause other problems even when they do work.

Some of the things that are accomplished in Deadly Reflex were impossible before SkyCaptain figured out how to do them and created the mod. :thumbsup:

Is there ANY way to get this working?

- Maybe.

I just want to shoot my bow on horseback. It shouldn't be too difficult since Ocarina of Time let me do it ***last century***.

- It's a different game.

I've tried the Mounted Combat mod but that only lets me cast spells on horseback, which is boring.

- It's still quite an accomplishment.

And everywhere I look tells me to try Deadly Reflex but horse combat is disabled in the latest versions (5 and 6) and doesn't let me fire my bow in version 4.

There must be some way to get it working?!?!?

- Maybe.

As an aside, how the fudge did something as buggy and fundamentally broken as Deadly Reflex ever get to be the 2nd most downloaded Oblivion mod of all time?!

- It's a good mod.

-----------------------------------------

I'm glad i took the high ground on this.

I'd like to see you even remotely try to come up with a mod that does anything near it.

Ocarina of Time is a completely different game built on a completely different game engine which was meant for a completely different platform which came from a completely difference generation of games. You are comparing apples to steaks.

My suggestion, is that if you absolutely must have it, see if you can find an older version of Deadly Reflexes that supported the mounted combat. If that is not possible, then it is my suggestion that you open up the construction set and start modding your own mounted combat.

Edited by DarkWarrior45

Here you are the reason, why there is no mounted combat in vanilla:

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356

bapenguin: What about combat on mounts? I heard there is no mounted combat, any good reason for this? Balance issues?

Jashin: Tell us why mounts are only a speed boost and not an extension of standard gameplay.

kathode: It's primarily an issue of balance and focus. We poured a ton of effort into this combat system, and we want the primary focus to stay with player vs. player (or creature) combat. Person on person, with the guy right up in your face. We want to make this as polished and as realistic and gritty as possible. Once you've got guys whizzing by on horseback, that focus goes right out the window. It practically becomes an entirely different game.

bapenguin: That makes sense. An entirely different set of rules to test.

kathode: It definitely is an entirely different set of rules. We think of horses as a method of transportation. It just feels right to ride out into the wilderness on the back of your horse. Ride off into the sunset, you know. That sort of thing.

Jashin: Hmmm, what about a more practical solution to this, instead of removing it outright?

kathode: The balance of our combat system is a MAJOR focus for us. Once you toss in horses, the goal of the game becomes to get a horse, so you can get higher than everyone and start golf-clubbing them around. I'm not saying adding in all the extra features that mounted combat would require would necessarily be a bad thing, I'm saying that given how fully-featured our current combat is, we feel we need to keep our focus on polishing that and making it as good as possible.

Emil: Yeah… Other fantasy/medieval games have obviously offered horse-based combat. The Joan of Arc game, some MMOs, but none of them have offered the kind of intense, mano-a-mano 1st person combat like we're doing. On the ground, it feels fantastic; on a horse, different story, different rules.

Jashin: You said earlier hitting relies on hit contact, so wouldn’t a decrease in the chance to hit encourage the player to stop and wail on hostiles side by side?

kathode: Not sure what you're asking with that question. Do you mean the best strategy is just to stand still and click fast?

bapenguin: I think he's saying that if you are on horseback there should be a rule governing your hit probability vs. ground combatants.

Jashin: Well, I bet a lot of people take mounted combat as being charging a standing enemy on horseback.

kathode: Yeah, when I think of mounted combat, I don't think of just standing still and knocking on guys. I think of charging and making that feel really good. There are probably rules you can add to solve most of the problems I can think of, but again, you're taking away the focus of what we really want combat to be and feel like.

Emil: Jashin, I think at that point you're just better off getting off of the horse anyway, because really, being mounted is adding nothing to the experience. Not like that, anyway.

bapenguin: Do the mounts increase your inventory at all?

kathode: Right now I don't think they increase your inventory. As far as other solutions - don't know. What we really don’t' want to do is to throw in something half-assed just to say we have it. That's not being faithful to the wishes of our fans or anyone else, including ourselves.

Jashin: Okay, so mounts work as a boost of movement speed only. Would high speed movement impact the framerate? And are the ponies summoned, or like us guys, they have needs too?

kathode: Increase in speed shouldn't impact the framerate, no. Mounts are not summoned. You take them around with you and keep them in stables when you don't need them.

Emil: Mounts aren't artificially summoned the way they are in some fantasy games. You don't rub your horse figurine and have him magically show up in the world. Your horse is an actual in-game entity, like an NPC. Though your horse travels with you when you "fast travel."