Why must they have enemy Level Scaling?

SchindlersFist

why? why? why?

That is the major complaint I had for Oblivion. You spend all that time making a bad ass character only to have the enemies simply level up with you. I felt it took away any sense of accomplishment. I guess the question is, how will they implement the level scaling system?

The leveling system is similar to that of Fallout 3. If you haven't played that game, from what I've read it works like this: Different areas have different levels, with the level being set in the first time you enter the area. You won't come back to a dungeon to see that the Scamps have been replaced with Xivilai. The bandits won't get any stronger so you won't see them running around with Daedric armor either. If you run into a level 5 area for the first time if you're at level 20, then you'll find the level has been "tethered" to you, but at a slower rate so you'll find the enemies in there at level 10 or something.

In addition, it's also confirmed that the enemy spawner will sometimes give you more lower-level enemies instead of one higher-leveled one. So you may enter a level 10 dungeon with twice as many level 5 enemies.

Edited by Alcrin

I wouldn't worry .. I played both oblivion and fallout3 and as much as I liked oblivion more I can say happily that Fallout3 Leveling was about a thousand times better .. Meaning the game didnt punish you for not getting that +5 when you slept because you used to many fireballs on that stupid ghost lol .. Or ran into a bandit with glass armor and gold rings on every finger x3 heh .. I assume they have balanced it even more to work with the elder scrolls "level what you use" style of gameplay .. I mean .. Its could only be better .. Did anyone watch the making of oblivion video? OMG they were in such a bad spot back then .. 50 or so people .. working in a basment .. didnt know the hardware specs of the 360 .. rushed at every turn .. I think its safe to say Skyrim will be better in every way

Did anyone watch the making of oblivion video? OMG they were in such a bad spot back then .. 50 or so people .. working in a basment .. didnt know the hardware specs of the 360 .. rushed at every turn .. I think its safe to say Skyrim will be better in every way

This.

Is news to me. But further tells me (if it's true) that this game is in good hands and Skyrim will for sure kick baby donkey balls.

Did anyone watch the making of oblivion video? OMG they were in such a bad spot back then .. 50 or so people .. working in a basment .. didnt know the hardware specs of the 360 .. rushed at every turn .. I think its safe to say Skyrim will be better in every way

This.

Is news to me. But further tells me (if it's true) that this game is in good hands and Skyrim will for sure kick baby donkey balls.

its also in a bethesda podcast, oblivion's 5th anniversary worth a listen too plus its free

You have to remember that this game isn't like Borderlands, for example. If you've ever played the game, you can easily see how their leveling system works. Enemies don't level with you, and it's an open world role playing game, so how do they fix the problem of the game becoming too easy? They simply move quests to different areas of the game. So although it is open world, the game moves you to separate areas of the world. Skyrim, like Oblivion, is different in this way. The only way to keep the game challenging is to have strong enemies, because you're constantly moving from one area to another and back. So enemies need to level with you. But Bethesda knew they had a huge problem in Oblivion with the "sense of accomplishment" as you called it. So they are level locking certain areas of the game when you first go there. "It's hard now, but come back once you're stronger, and you'll do better," is sort of the feeling they are going for. But since you can completely explore this game, Bethesda wants you to be able to encounter challenges each time that you discover a new place, while old places become easier. I for one love this concept, and I think it fits in perfectly for this type of game. Borderlands handled their leveling system perfectly as well. It just depends on the style that the game developer makes the game, and I think Bethesda nailed it this time. But, of course, we will have to wait till we can try the game for ourselves before we can truly decide whether this level scaling system works for this game or not.

This.

If you have an Xbox, go to the Game Marketplace, go to All, and slide over to Top Rated. Three of the five Top Rated Xbox games are Bethesda games. Skyrim at #2, Fallout 3 at #4, and Oblivion at #5. The fact that Oblivion has even kept such a high placement over the years is an accomplishment in itself, and makes me look forward to Skyrim like never before. The only other game I've ever been this excited for was Halo 3, which was a hell of a good game. But if Skyrim is better than Oblivion, which it will be, then I'm going to have trouble doing anything else besides that game.

Morrowind has level scaling too, somewhat. There's nothing wrong with it, if it's used correctly. Oblivion did it wrong. Fallout 3 did it much better. Skyrim's system will be much like Fallout 3's.

Hmm become god-like and kill everything in one hit, that would be boring. While Level-Scaling is fun but it depends on how its done. By the way they have already said other stuff like parts of the world will have enemies that are too dangerous for you character at lower levels.

You have to remember that this game isn't like Borderlands, for example. If you've ever played the game, you can easily see how their leveling system works. Enemies don't level with you, and it's an open world role playing game, so how do they fix the problem of the game becoming too easy? They simply move quests to different areas of the game. So although it is open world, the game moves you to separate areas of the world. Skyrim, like Oblivion, is different in this way. The only way to keep the game challenging is to have strong enemies, because you're constantly moving from one area to another and back. So enemies need to level with you. But Bethesda knew they had a huge problem in Oblivion with the "sense of accomplishment" as you called it. So they are level locking certain areas of the game when you first go there. "It's hard now, but come back once you're stronger, and you'll do better," is sort of the feeling they are going for. But since you can completely explore this game, Bethesda wants you to be able to encounter challenges each time that you discover a new place, while old places become easier. I for one love this concept, and I think it fits in perfectly for this type of game. Borderlands handled their leveling system perfectly as well. It just depends on the style that the game developer makes the game, and I think Bethesda nailed it this time. But, of course, we will have to wait till we can try the game for ourselves before we can truly decide whether this level scaling system works for this game or not.

This.

If you have an Xbox, go to the Game Marketplace, go to All, and slide over to Top Rated. Three of the five Top Rated Xbox games are Bethesda games. Skyrim at #2, Fallout 3 at #4, and Oblivion at #5. The fact that Oblivion has even kept such a high placement over the years is an accomplishment in itself, and makes me look forward to Skyrim like never before. The only other game I've ever been this excited for was Halo 3, which was a hell of a good game. But if Skyrim is better than Oblivion, which it will be, then I'm going to have trouble doing anything else besides that game.

Yeah If I remember right Halo 10th Anniversary edition is in first right? But still I think it is an accomplishment for them.

If the leveling system is actually like fallout 3 like everyone says it is, then I have no fear whatsoever. Fallout 3 had an excellent leveling system.. Kept you feeling like you were getting stronger without being able to destroy everything in your path. For instance at level 30 I was still scared of super mutant overlords, and that's not because my character was poorly built so don't go there.