Why must they have enemy Level Scaling?

SchindlersFist

One of the things I liked in Daggerfall was that to my knowledge, there was little to no level scaling. Dungeons could be very difficult. You could start out meeting random mundane enemies (rats, bats, the occasional human profession type) and then round the corner and suddenly it's "JESUS CHRIST, IT'S A LICH, GET IN THE CAR!"

They weren't all like this, but it made for some tense ad exciting moments.

One of the things I liked in Daggerfall was that to my knowledge, there was little to no level scaling. Dungeons could be very difficult. You could start out meeting random mundane enemies (rats, bats, the occasional human profession type) and then round the corner and suddenly it's "JESUS CHRIST, IT'S A LICH, GET IN THE CAR!"

They weren't all like this, but it made for some tense ad exciting moments.

I agree .. When you don't have level scaling it forces the Devs to set a path for you to take otherwise you end up finding a pack of trolls intended for a level 14 when your at level 1 and just exploring a little .. It just needs to be done right .. I think most people agree that Oblivion's leveling was a mess but Fallout 3 was fine if not perfect.