Quick Question

MSTheThird

Hey, I'm new to Oblivion on the PC and I've got a couple questions about some mods. I know there are a lot out there and I need help knowing which ones are the best for my needs. I'm looking for the latest version of some type of mod that will give me a lot more custom races, more defined bodies (male and female), and tattoos if possible. I've had some trouble finding out which mods are up to date and suite my needs. Does anyone know of a mod with all of the things I listed, or multiple mods that are compatible? I know how to manually install most mods, usually they come with a read me, I'm just having trouble finding "all in one" mod packages. Also, if you know of or use any type of "all in one" mod, or recommend any mods, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

For extra races, probably the best to use is COBL. Not only does it add extra races, it includes extrra hair and eyes for new characters, and lots of script functionality that quite a few mods require.

For defined bodies, you'll need to be more specific. While the standard for males is Roberts, there's no agreement on a standard for females. Various subtypes based on HGEC are often used, but so are other, less voluptuous body models, including Exnem, TGND, and Roberts Female.

Alternatives for "race packs" are the Race Rebalancing Project, and Modular Beautiful People. For the female bodies, there is an Eye candy Compilation pack someplace, allows you to pick and choose. Remember for body replacers, you will need to install matching armour replacers or the changes won't show unless they are naked.

For extra races, probably the best to use is COBL. Not only does it add extra races, it includes extrra hair and eyes for new characters, and lots of script functionality that quite a few mods require.

For defined bodies, you'll need to be more specific. While the standard for males is Roberts, there's no agreement on a standard for females. Various subtypes based on HGEC are often used, but so are other, less voluptuous body models, including Exnem, TGND, and Roberts Female.

Thanks, I'll check out COBL. Does it require a script extender? I've heard some mods require some kind of script extender. I'll also check out Roberts for males and I know that there's a lot of stuff for females. I guess what I'm asking is which is the most popular/common body replacer for females? I'll use clothed or nude, doesn't really matter to me as long as it looks better than the "stock" body. I'll try to search some of the names you gave me. Thanks.

Alternatives for "race packs" are the Race Rebalancing Project, and Modular Beautiful People. For the female bodies, there is an Eye candy Compilation pack someplace, allows you to pick and choose. Remember for body replacers, you will need to install matching armour replacers or the changes won't show unless they are naked.

I had no idea I had to get matching armor replacers. Thanks. Do most of the body replacers come with the armor replacers, or do I have to search for them separately? Sorry this is confusing to me, I guess everyone has to be a noob sometimes. I got some of the basic mods down like clocks of cyrodill and the elven colored map, but now I'm trying to do some more in-dept mods and it takes a little more effort.

EDIT: Thanks. I checked out the eye candy compilation pack and it says it comes with the armor. Now I just gotta find something like that for male characters.

Edited by MSTheThird

Search for "All Male bodies" - sadly it's a slightly more complex installation process as there is either a BAIN version or a Manual version - no scripted OMOD :(

Thanks, I'll check out COBL. Does it require a script extender? I've heard some mods require some kind of script extender.

COBL is a script extender, and a compendium of several mods that demonstrate what it can do--including race building. You'll find that a lot of mods use COBL for its scripting capabilities, so that's another benefit for you.

I'll also check out Roberts for males and I know that there's a lot of stuff for females. I guess what I'm asking is which is the most popular/common body replacer for females? I'll use clothed or nude, doesn't really matter to me as long as it looks better than the "stock" body. I'll try to search some of the names you gave me. Thanks.

The most popular is HGEC. This creates a model (for lack of a better term) for both all the female bodies in the game, and any HGEC armor/clothing. The way it works is this: if a portion of the body is exposed, it will show the HGEC standard. If the armor has been designed with HGEC in mind, it will show the HGEC standard. But...if another model is used for the armor, it will display whatever model was involved.

So if I install HGEC and then use a TGND platemail on my female character, her character will look like she's built according to the TGND standard--for as long as that armor is used. Where things get weird is when the clothing or armor in question doesn't cover everything, such as a sleeveless upper body garment that ignores the arms. Then you may get visible tears and seams in the body, since what's showing, the HGEC body model, doesn't completely match up to whatever armor/clothing you're using. But that's pretty rare, and if you don't like the result, you simply get rid of the armor/clothing mod and try something different.

There are a range of HGEC armor compilations out there; everybody has their own taste. Some also emphasize subcategories of HGEC, like BBB, LightGuts, and DMRA. If you like any of these or others like them, they are fully compatible with HGEC bodies. In other words, they won't look as strange as occasionally mixing TGND or Roberts Female armor does on an HGEC body. (Though you may personally find some of the exaggerations done to the female torso--rather strange.)

You will need to make some choices when you install HGEC. They're simple enough. You have to choose a cup size for the top, and a width size for the hips. Again, these might change on your character (or a female companion or mannequin that use) if you employ a differently made HGEC armor. So if you decide on HGEC with large hips but use a mod that adds an HGEC armor suit for small hips, when that character dons the armor, they'll have small hips. Should otherwise cause no changes, and work seamlessly with what you've got. Don't like the small hips? Just remove the armor, and the body underneath it will go right back to large hips.

I suggest you take a look at two mods. One is the Apachii Goddess Store. It's the largest female armor compendium mod around, with a fair amount based on HGEC (as well as some Roberts and Exnem). Many styles, and plenty of screenshots to check out for armor names, and styles. If you want to see them inside the game, then check out QQuix Divine Elegance Showroom. This clever mod lets you "hand out" invitations to armor/clothing shops to display their wares on moving models in a new basement at the Divine Elegance shop. You can then choose to buy or ignore whatever you see.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks, I'll check out COBL. Does it require a script extender? I've heard some mods require some kind of script extender.

COBL is a script extender, and a compendium of several mods that demonstrate what it can do--including race building. You'll find that a lot of mods use COBL for its scripting capabilities, so that's another benefit for you.

I'll also check out Roberts for males and I know that there's a lot of stuff for females. I guess what I'm asking is which is the most popular/common body replacer for females? I'll use clothed or nude, doesn't really matter to me as long as it looks better than the "stock" body. I'll try to search some of the names you gave me. Thanks.

The most popular is HGEC. This creates a model (for lack of a better term) for both all the female bodies in the game, and any HGEC armor/clothing. The way it works is this: if a portion of the body is exposed, it will show the HGEC standard. If the armor has been designed with HGEC in mind, it will show the HGEC standard. But...if another model is used for the armor, it will display whatever model was involved.

So if I install HGEC and then use a TGND platemail on my female character, her character will look like she's built according to the TGND standard--for as long as that armor is used. Where things get weird is when the clothing or armor in question doesn't cover everything, such as a sleeveless upper body garment that ignores the arms. Then you may get visible tears and seams in the body, since what's showing, the HGEC body model, doesn't completely match up to whatever armor/clothing you're using. But that's pretty rare, and if you don't like the result, you simply get rid of the armor/clothing mod and try something different.

There are a range of HGEC armor compilations out there; everybody has their own taste. Some also emphasize subcategories of HGEC, like BBB, LightGuts, and DMRA. If you like any of these or others like them, they are fully compatible with HGEC bodies. In other words, they won't look as strange as occasionally mixing TGND or Roberts Female armor does on an HGEC body. (Though you may personally find some of the exaggerations done to the female torso--rather strange.)

You will need to make some choices when you install HGEC. They're simple enough. You have to choose a cup size for the top, and a width size for the hips. Again, these might change on your character (or a female companion or mannequin that use) if you employ a differently made HGEC armor. So if you decide on HGEC with large hips but use a mod that adds an HGEC armor suit for small hips, when that character dons the armor, they'll have small hips. Should otherwise cause no changes, and work seamlessly with what you've got. Don't like the small hips? Just remove the armor, and the body underneath it will go right back to large hips.

I suggest you take a look at two mods. One is the Apachii Goddess Store. It's the largest female armor compendium mod around, with a fair amount based on HGEC (as well as some Roberts and Exnem). Many styles, and plenty of screenshots to check out for armor names, and styles. If you want to see them inside the game, then check out QQuix Divine Elegance Showroom. This clever mod lets you "hand out" invitations to armor/clothing shops to display their wares on moving models in a new basement at the Divine Elegance shop. You can then choose to buy or ignore whatever you see.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks man, I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. It seems a little overwhelming at first, but I think I'm getting a better understanding. Thanks for clearing the thing up with the difference in body models and armors. I wasn't sure if armor I downloaded would work with certain body models, but knowing that most will still work is a lot more reassuring. I'm sure I'll have the hang of things in a couple days or so. Its just gonna take some practice. Once again, much thanks :)

Search for "All Male bodies" - sadly it's a slightly more complex installation process as there is either a BAIN version or a Manual version - no scripted OMOD :(

Alright, I'll be sure to check that out too. I have no idea what BAIN is, and I have very little understanding of OMOD, so manual should work for me. Thats how I've done all my other mods anyways. Thanks for your time :)