New Vegas - Distorted/Low voice sound, problems with vats/landing.

hgrick

I have new vegas on steam, I have had it since I preordered it 2 months prior to release. I never had this problem before.

I have come back to this game after awhile to try and replay it, however I'm encountering some very annoying issues with the sound. I have the same sound hardware that I had when I first purchased this game.

When I'm not in direct contact with someone, voices are fine, but in a game-pausing conversation, the voices are very low and distorted. The jumping/landing sounds do not play, the VATS target confirmation sound does not play. The sound of drawing a weapon does not play.

To help you guys help me, I've created a small demonstration of what this error looks and sounds like, here is the video I created:

IMPORTANT: Oddly enough, the sound error doesn't occur in the video I have made.. the f***?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPFj26hkek

Here is a list of the things I have tried that have not fixed the issue (will update as more things come to me to try):

creating new save files

Reinstalling fallout new vegas (this includes deleting the directory)

Checking for newer sound drivers

Rolling back sound drivers

Silent hill homecoming v11 patch

Mod load order

uninstalling K-lite codec pack

validating files through steam

If you guys would please be kind enough to share with me anything you might know about this error and how to fix it, please post here. If you need more information on something please tell me. This issue is very frustrating as I cannot play the game like this and I would love to replay this game now..

Thank you very much,

Rick.

Edited by hgrick

No idea what t could be, as the video doesn't show the sound error lol, though my guess is if ts sounds its either corrupt sound files with your game or your hardware.

Your specs would help :) and maybe a video of it actually showing the error :)

No idea what t could be, as the video doesn't show the sound error lol, though my guess is if ts sounds its either corrupt sound files with your game or your hardware.

Your specs would help :) and maybe a video of it actually showing the error :)

Well as for the video showing the error I probably couldn't do that since everything works fine in the video, but not in game.

I've attached my dxdiag below, take note that I use a 7.1 surround sound gaming headset from razer. I have an onboard sound card that seemed to always do the trick. works fine in any other game too. (however the sound card is not utilized because the headset acts as one.)

as for the sound files in the game being corrupt I don't know how that's possible after countless reinstallations (yes i ran as administrator)

Thanks for your time.